Question involving Uncertainty Principle.

In summary, the conversation discusses using the uncertainty principle and the mass of a pion to estimate the range of the Strong interaction. It suggests using basic algebra to find the time and then using the wave function to derive the range. It also mentions that pions have a lifespan of 2.6x10^-8 seconds and that the answer can be verified by comparing it to the size of atomic nuclei.
brat-sampson
Using the uncertainty principle for energy and time, estimate the range of the Strong interaction if it is due to the exchange of a pion with rest mass 140GeV (Take the value of h as 4.14x10^-21MeV s)
Now I know that Delta T x Delta E is > or = to hbar
and that I want DeltaX as a solution. But after having worked out DeltaT using basic algebra it's hard to know where to go. Should I head with E = 1/2 mv^2 to get the velocity then use speed x time to get distance? If so how do I find the mass of a pion? Or I could try and get the momentum but encounter similar problems.
If there's a simple way using the wave function then I might not know it as I really wasn't sure about that lecture and am working on finding out more.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pions have a lifespan of 2.6x10^-8 seconds. Does that help?

Your lecturer is probably asking you to derive something similar to what Yukawa originally postulated regarding the strong force. Your approach seems to be backwards however. At that time, they didn't know the mass of this once non-existant particle. The answer can be verified, as this 'range' is approximatey the size of atomic nuclei. If we assume that the pion can travel near the speed of light, then the time it would take to exchange would be:

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{r}{c}[/tex]

For some r (range) you don't know. You can then relate this to an uncertainty in energy using the uncertainty principle. Subsequently, relate this to an uncertainty in mass using what else other than Einstein's famous [tex]E = mc^2[/tex]

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where we assume that we can precisely measure the position and momentum of particles. It shows that at the quantum level, there is a fundamental limit to how much we can know about these properties of a particle.

3. Can the Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and proven to be true. It is a fundamental aspect of the subatomic world and cannot be violated.

4. How does the Uncertainty Principle relate to wave-particle duality?

The Uncertainty Principle is closely related to the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle is a manifestation of its wave-like behavior.

5. Does the Uncertainty Principle have any practical applications?

Yes, the Uncertainty Principle has several practical applications, such as in quantum cryptography, where it is used to ensure the security of information transmission. It also plays a crucial role in technologies like MRI machines and electron microscopes.