Question on 3 circles with changing values

• Thread starter Jenna_B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, Jenna_B found a problem that she and her teacher couldn't figure out, and eventually solved it by using a general formula.
Jenna_B
Hey everyone, my friend found this math problem that he couldn't figure out and gave to me. I thought it was quite interesting. So far I haven't been able to find a way to get into it though.

There's a circle, C1, with centre O and radius r. Point Y is anywhere outside the circle. Circle C3 has its centre at Y and its radius is OY. One of its points of intersection with C1 is P.
Another circle, C2, with the same radius as C1, has its centre at P (and thus passes through O).
A line passes through O and Y. C2 has another intersection with this line at X.

Here is an image I made of the problem:

uDiR4.jpg

The problem is twofold:
1. Let r = 1; find OX as OY equals 2, 3, and 4 (Find a general statement).
2. Let OY = 2; find OX as r = 2, 3, and 4 (Find a general statement).

Basically you need to find the value of OX as r and OY change, and find a formula for it. Can anyone suggest anything?

EDIT: I've figured out that triangles YOP and PXO are similar...maybe this will lead somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be a problem with the 2nd part of the problem.
If we let OY = 2 and r = 2, then we break the given rule that Y must lie outside circle 1.
If we let r = 3 or 4, then Y lies inside circle 1.
If we let OY = 2 and r = 4 then circle 2 is the same as circle 3.

Last edited:
Welcome to PF, Jenna_B! :smile:Here's a possible way to solve this.First you need to realize which distance are equal.

Since you circle C2 has its center in P and intersects at O and at X, this means that:
r = OP = PX.
So OPX is an isosceles triangle with sides r, r, and OX.

Circle C3 has its center in Y and intersects at O and at P, meaning:
s = OY = PY.
So OPY is also an isosceles triangle with sides s, s, and r.
Now let's take a look at the angle between OP and OY (which is the same angle as between OP and OX).
Let's call it alpha.

Do you know what the cosine of alpha is?
Look at triangle OPX as well as OPY.

From this you should be able to find a general statement...

You are right about the triangles being similar.
Find the cosine of [itex]\angle POY[/itex] as related to each triangle.
You should find the answer.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

I found a general formula but it wasn't the correct one; it only seemed to work for r=1. I was told by my teacher that the actual formula is r^2/OY, but I don't see a way that I could derive that...

For reference, my formula is OX = √((2r^2)(1-(cos(2cos^-1(r/OY)))))

EDIT: I got it, you simply had to equate CosPOY with the two triangles >.> Anyways, thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

1. How are the values of the 3 circles changing?

The values of the 3 circles are changing due to the presence of an external force or influence. This could be a change in temperature, pressure, or other environmental factors.

2. What factors affect the values of the 3 circles?

The values of the 3 circles can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, chemical reactions, and external forces such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.

3. Is there a pattern to the changing values of the 3 circles?

Yes, there may be a pattern to the changing values of the 3 circles. This could be due to a repeating cycle or a relationship between the values of the circles and the external factors affecting them.

4. How can we measure the changing values of the 3 circles?

The changing values of the 3 circles can be measured using various scientific instruments such as thermometers, pressure gauges, spectrometers, or other specialized tools designed for specific types of measurements.

5. What can the changing values of the 3 circles tell us about the system?

The changing values of the 3 circles can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the system. By analyzing the patterns and relationships of the changing values, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.