Question on a form of the Euler constant

In summary, the Euler constant, also known as Euler's number or the Euler-Mascheroni constant, is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 0.5772. It is widely used in various areas of mathematics and has applications in physics, engineering, and finance. The Euler constant is related to the natural logarithm as the limit of the difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm as the number of terms approaches infinity. It is an irrational and transcendental number, and it was first discovered by Johann Lambert in 1761 and later studied by Leonhard Euler.
themandotcom
I was wondering how I would go about proving this equation:
[tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u-}{u^2}du=1-\gamma[/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the Euler Constant, and [tex] [/tex] is the floor function

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe, turning the left-hand side into
[tex]\sum_ {i=1} ^ \infty {\int_{i}^{i+1}\frac{u-i}{u^2}du }[/tex]

To prove this equation, you can start by rewriting the integral as a sum of two integrals: \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u}{u^2}du - \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{}{u^2}du.

The first integral can be simplified to \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{u}du, which is a well-known integral that evaluates to ln(u).

For the second integral, we can use the definition of the floor function to rewrite it as \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u-}{u^2}du = \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u-}{u} \cdot \frac{1}{u}du.

Using the properties of integrals, we can split this into two separate integrals, one for u and one for : \int_{1}^{\infty}udu - \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{}{u}du.

The first integral evaluates to \frac{u^2}{2} evaluated from 1 to infinity, which is equal to infinity.

For the second integral, we can use the fact that the floor function is always less than or equal to u, so \frac{}{u} is always less than or equal to 1. This means that the integral will converge to a finite value.

Combining these two integrals, we get \infty - \text{finite value} = \infty, which is equal to 1.

Therefore, we have proven that \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u-}{u^2}du = 1, and since \gamma is defined as the difference between this integral and 1, we can conclude that \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{u-}{u^2}du = 1 - \gamma.

1. What is the Euler constant?

The Euler constant, also known as Euler's number or the Euler-Mascheroni constant, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 0.5772. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. What is the significance of the Euler constant?

The Euler constant is widely used in mathematical and scientific equations. It appears in various areas of mathematics such as calculus, number theory, and complex analysis. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and finance.

3. How is the Euler constant related to the natural logarithm?

The Euler constant is the limit of the difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm as the number of terms approaches infinity. It is also the value of the derivative of the natural logarithm at x=1.

4. Can the Euler constant be expressed as a fraction?

No, the Euler constant is an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a fraction. It is a transcendental number, which means it is not the root of any algebraic equation with rational coefficients.

5. How was the Euler constant discovered?

The Euler constant was first discovered by the Swiss mathematician Johann Lambert in 1761. However, it was later named after Leonhard Euler, who studied its properties extensively and made significant contributions to its understanding.