Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on changing limits of integral

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    Say we have

[tex]\int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{\hbar \omega^{3}}{exp (\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}) - 1} d\omega[/tex]

let

[tex]x = \frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}[/tex]

if we sub in we get

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} (\frac{kT}{\hbar}) \int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

my question is how would the limits and integral change to get the limits in terms of x?

ANSWER:

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} {kT} \int_{0}^{x _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

i.e. it removes a h-bar when the limits are changed, please could someone explain this?

thanks for any help

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since you are replacing ##\omega## with x, you're going to need to calculate dx as well.
    When ##\omega## = 0, it's pretty obvious that x = 0 as well. Use your substitution above to calculate x when ##\omega = \omega_D##.

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply, I already calculated dx/dw = h-bar/kT , thats where the second kT/h-bar comes from in the second equation. Not sure how what you are saying helps me determine how the new limit x on the integral changes what is in the equation. i.e. where the h-bar goes in the answer

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have made a mistake when you did your substitution. After your substitution you should have this:
    $$\int \frac{\hbar(\frac{kT}{\hbar})^3x^3 \frac{kT}{\hbar}dx}{e^x - 1}$$
    When simplified, this gives what you showed as the answer.

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    ahhh, ok thank you! i thought changing the limit effected the term somehow :-/ many thanks!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook