Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on conjugate closure of subgroups

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    Let's have a group G and two subgroups A<G and B<G such that the intersection of A and B is trivial.
    I consider the subgroup [itex]\left\langle A^B \right\rangle[/itex] which is called conjugate closure of A with respect to B, and it is the subgroup generated by the set: [tex]A^B=\{ b^{-1}ab \;|\; a\in A,\; b\in B\}[/tex]

It is clear that [itex]A\cap \left\langle A^B \right\rangle = A[/itex].

What about [itex]B\cap \left\langle A^B \right\rangle[/itex]?
    Do B and the conjugate closure [itex]\left\langle A^B \right\rangle[/itex] have trivial intersection?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2
    Well, let's say we have something like [itex]b^{-1}ab=b' \in B[/itex]. Then [itex]a=bb'b^{-1}[/itex]. Now, clearly this implies that [itex]a \in B[/itex]. But, [itex]A\cap B = 1[/itex]. So...

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    Hi Robert,
    thanks for the answer. I believe that with your argument you have essentially proved the base case of induction. The elements of [itex]\left\langle A^B \right\rangle[/itex] have the form: [itex](b_1^{-1} a_1 b_1) (b_2^{-1} a_2 b_2) \ldots (b_n^{-1} a_n b_n)[/itex].

I would like to prove/disprove that if such elements are contained in B, then they must be equal to the identity. And this is exactly where I get stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook