Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on conjugation closure of subgroups

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I consider the groups of rotations [itex]R=SO(2)[/itex] and the group [itex]T[/itex] of translations on the 2D Cartesian plane.
    Let's define Ω as the group Ω=RT.
    Thus Ω is essentially SE(2), the special Euclidean group.

It is known that R and T are respectively 1-dimensional and 2-dimensional Lie groups diffeomorphic to the unit circle and the 2D plane.

My question is:
    If I consider now [itex]\left\langle R \right\rangle ^\Omega[/itex], the conjugate closure of R with respect to Ω, what is the "structure" of such a group? Is it still a Lie group? if so, what is the manifold associated with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since ##\Omega## is abelian, it seems straightforward that [itex]\left\langle R \right\rangle ^\Omega =R[/itex]. If we were to consider a higher-dimensional Euclidean group, it seems that this continues to hold, since the result follows from ##T## being a normal subgroup of ##\Omega##.

A slightly more interesting example would be to consider a rank ##m## subgroup ##R_m## of a sufficiently large ##R_n## and study ## \left\langle R_m \right\rangle ^{\Omega_n} ##. It seems easy to convince yourself that this is just ##R_n## itself, though a formal proof would probably be illuminating.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    Why is Ω supposed to be abelian?
    For sure T and R are abelian groups, but I don't think Ω=RT is abelian, because R is not a normal subgroup of Ω. In general rt≠tr. Or am I missing something?

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you're correct. So let's work through it explicitly, like I should have done in the first place. A general element of ##\Omega## is

$$ g(a,b,\theta) = t_1 (a) t_2(b) r(\theta). $$

We are to consider ##g^{-1} r g##. A particular combination would be ## t_1(a)^{-1}r(\phi )t_1(a) = t_1 (a(\cos\phi-1)) t_2(a\sin\phi)##. I expect that considering the general case would lead to ##\langle R\rangle^\Omega = \Omega##.

Perhaps my more complicated example would lead to ##\langle R_m\rangle^{\Omega_n} = \Omega_m## when properly analyzed.

6. Sep 11, 2013 #5
    Hi fzero,

thanks for your help. I think you are right when you suggest that [itex]\Omega = \left\langle R^\Omega \right\rangle[/itex], because [itex]\left\langle R^\Omega \right\rangle[/itex] is supposed to be a group anyway, and if it's neither T nor R, then I don't know what else it can be, besides Ω itself.

The thing that bothers me is that, I can't prove that [itex]T \subseteq \left\langle R^\Omega \right\rangle[/itex] from the definition of conjugate closure.

---EDIT:---
    Maybe I got it: the conjugate closure contains also elements of the kind: [itex](t^{-1}rt)\,(\tau^{-1}r^{-1}\tau)[/itex] and since T is normal we have that [itex]r(t\tau^{-1})r^{-1}=t' \in T[/itex], thus the above quantity reduces to [itex]tt'\tau[/itex] which is an element of T.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook