1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on considering final velocity

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

bolt comes loose underneath an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.0 m/s and reaches the bottom in 3.0s . find how high above the bottom of the shaft it came loose and the speed of the bolt when it hits the bottom.

i figured out the problem but my question is why dont you consider the final velocity as 0 because when the bolt is on the bottom of the shaft there is no velocity? this is what i first tried to do when attempting to find the initial velocity but that is wrong....so i just wanted to know why i cant put v final as 0.

2. Relevant equations

vf=vo+at

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are considering the motion of the bolt under the influence of gravity alone. So the 'final' velocity in your kinematic analysis should be the speed of the bolt just before it hits the floor of the elevator.

After it hits the floor of the elevator, other forces come into play.

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the velocity of the bolt does not go to zero until after it has struck the bottom of the shaft.

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook