Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on intrepretation of loading

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    hello all,

I am in the process of measuring coefficients of a rectangular panel using given table in textbooks to obtain them.

I have attached a simple figure of two situations; left is my current situation to analyze- a clamped end and compressive force on the other end.

The situations that are in the textbooks that correlate to my situation is for symmetrical compressive loading on both sides, like the one shown in the figure to the right.

Can I interpret the coefficient I obtain from the textbook situation to directly correlate with mine, or would there be a factor ? What if the situation on the left involved a simply supported end instead of fixed end?

Thanks everybody for your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IMO, no, the two end conditions are not the equivalent.

For the case where the plate is loaded symmetrically along opposite edges, it appears that either edge is free to rotate when the load is applied.

For the case where one edge is known to be clamped, not only is no deflection along this edge allowed, but the plate itself is restrained from rotating.

It's not clear what these mysterious "coefficients" apply to, but unless the support conditions match exactly from a handbook to another situation, I would be leery about assuming the two support conditions were equivalent.

4. Jul 2, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

To be more specific, I am specifically looking into the compressive buckling coefficients for flat rectangular plates (from analysis and design of flight vehicle structures by Bruhn). Looking at all of the case with applied loads, all of the plots here assume uniaxial compression loads on both sides, instead of one side loaded and other side held by a constraint condition.

How would both cases be related? Many people are known to use this book for design guidelines.

thanks in advance for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook