Choosing Classes: Cross Enrolling and Full-Time Status Explained

• Thread starter dustbin
  • Start date
In summary: Its always best to speak with someone in the department about your situation as they would be the best to advise you.In summary, you will be taking an Honors Linear Algebra course at a local university in addition to your CC classes this semester. You will be starting the university class in September but your CC classes will start this coming Monday. This has created some odd obstacles for choosing your schedule for the semester, but you will be taking Russian as your elective to make up for it.
dustbin
This semester I will be cross enrolling in an Honors Linear Algebra course at a local university in addition to my CC classes. While this is really great, it's also created some odd obstacles for choosing my schedule for the semester. Since my CC is on the semester schedule and the university is on the quarter system, I won't be starting the university class until the end of Sept while my CC classes start this coming Monday.

In order to maintain my full-time status, I had to register for 12 units at my CC and then I will be adding on the Linear Algebra course after about a month. I was originally going to take Physics, but it was very conflicting with my other courses that I had to take. My other option was C++, but then I would only have 11 units for the first month, losing my full time status and making a huge p.i.t.a. to get my financial aid. So, I am taking Russian as my elective.

I have my foreign language satisfied already (Spanish) and am just taking this due to the full-time issue and the fact it has some relevance to my major (since many math graduate programs do a basic test in German, French, or Russian). I am genuinely interested in learning foreign languages, but I also want to be able to focus on my honors courses this semester (Calc II and Lin Alg). Should I apply for Pass/No-Pass? I ask because I don't know if this would be frowned upon when I apply for transfer or to grad schools, etc. I don't want to do P/NP to be able to slack off, I just want the option to focus more on my math courses if I have a period where it is particularly demanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd take it P/NP, no question.

Go Pass-No Pass. You won't regret it.

Great. Thanks for you replies. I suspect this will make my semester far more enjoyable (if the teacher allows P/NP)!

Its possible that the honors class you are taking can add some units for financial aid consideration. I have done exactly what you are doing and took some classes at a quarter type university as well as some at a semester type community college. I had 10 semester units at the CC and 4 quarter units at the university which, when converted to semester units, came out to be 12.66 semester units total. That allowed me to officially have full time status. I would check with your financial aid department for a concurrent enrollment form or what ever they would call it if they have it.

FAQ: Choosing Classes: Cross Enrolling and Full-Time Status Explained

1. What is a Pass/No-Pass grading system?

The Pass/No-Pass grading system is a method of evaluating a student's performance in a course based on whether they achieve a passing grade or not. Instead of receiving a letter grade, students are given a "Pass" if they meet the minimum requirements for the course or a "No-Pass" if they do not meet the requirements.

2. How does the Pass/No-Pass system differ from traditional grading?

The Pass/No-Pass system differs from traditional grading in that it does not use letter grades to evaluate a student's performance. Instead, it focuses on whether the student has met the minimum requirements for the course, regardless of their overall grade.

3. Can I choose to take a course as Pass/No-Pass?

It depends on your school's policies. Some schools allow students to choose the Pass/No-Pass option for certain courses, while others may not offer this option at all. It is important to check with your school's academic policies to see if this option is available.

4. How will a Pass/No-Pass grade affect my GPA?

In most cases, Pass/No-Pass grades do not affect a student's GPA. Since letter grades are not used in this system, the grade does not contribute to the student's GPA calculation. However, receiving a "No-Pass" grade may have consequences for academic standing or financial aid eligibility.

5. Is it better to take a course as Pass/No-Pass or receive a letter grade?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and the policies of your school. If you are concerned about your GPA or plan to pursue graduate school, it may be better to receive a letter grade. However, if your main goal is to pass the course and move on to other classes, the Pass/No-Pass option may be a better fit.