Question on Penrose diagram for Schwazschild metric

In summary: This surface is a spacelike hypersurface.In summary, the singularity r=0 in the Schwarzschild spacetime is depicted as a horizontal line in the Penrose diagram because inside the event horizon, r becomes a timelike coordinate and the surface of the singularity becomes a timelike surface. The sign of g \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r} , \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \right) in Schwarzschild with r outside the event horizon is negative, and it becomes positive inside the event horizon. Similarly, in Reissner-Nordstrom with r outside the event horizon, it is negative, but it becomes positive between the event horizon and the Cauchy horizon.
alphaone
Hi,
I am just learning about Penrose diagrams and got confused:
Why is the singularity r=0 in the Schwarzschild spacetime depicted by a horizontal line in the Penrose diagram? I thought a surface like r=0 would be timeike(as in the Reisner-Nordstrom case) rather than spacelike but obviously I must be missing something here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Inside the event horizon, what type of a coordinate is r?

George Jones said:
Inside the event horizon, what type of a coordinate is r?

What is the sign of

[tex]g \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r} , \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \right)[/tex]

in:

Schwarzschild with [itex]r[/itex] outside the event horizon;

Schwarzschild with [itex]r[/itex] inside the event horizon;

Reissner-Nordstrom with [itex]r[/itex] outside the event horizon;

Reissner-Nordstrom with [itex]r[/itex] between the event horizon and the Cauchy horizon;

Reissner-Nordstrom with [itex]r[/itex] inside the Cauchy horizon.

HI, Thanks for the immediate reply and thanks for pointing that out to me!
You are absolutely right inside the horizon r becomes the timelike coordinate so that the surface of the singularity r=0 is a timelike surface just that the timelike dirction is the horizontal one rather than the vertical one as r and t have interchanged roles, right?

Now I have another question.
If my previous post is correct, than is it the case that a horizontal path inside the Schwarzschild horizon is a timelike path? If this is the case I am a bit confused as I think remembering the lecturer say that any allowed(timelike, null) path in any Penrose diagram makes an angle less or equal to 45° with the vertical. But maybe I got that wrong.

In Minkowski sapcetime, what is the (hyper)surface t = 3 like?

In minkowski space ds^2=-dt^2+dr^2+r^2(d(theta)^2+sin^2(theta)d(phi)^2)
so for the (hyper)surface t=const we get
ds^2=dr^2+r^2(d(theta)^2+sin^2(theta)d(phi)^2)
which is the Euclidean space R^3. However unfortunately I do not see your point. This is spacelike in any direction and if I am not mistaken it is represented in the Penrose diagram by a line joining i^0 (spacelike infinity) with the vertical line r=0, i.e. it is a spacelike curve in the Penrose diagram and it makes an angle bigger than 45° with the vertical.
@George: By the way I really like your way of asking questions instead of answering the question directly, as I think that I definitely learn much more that way. So if you could continue like this I would really appreciate it!

I was trying to make an analogy.

In Minkowski spacetime, t is a timelike coordinate, and the surface t = const is a ...

Inside the eveny horizon, r is a timelike coordinate, and the surface r = const is a ...

Now for another (seemingly trivial) question: what does r = conts mean?

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I see what you are saying: In Minkowski t is timelike coordinate so t=const is spacelike surface. Then in Schwarzschild r is timelike coordinate inside the horizon so r=const is spacelike surface there, I see that now, thanks.
Actually I do not find your r=const question trivial at all:
In Minkowski r=R(const) implies
ds^2=-dt^2+R^2(d(theta)^2+sin(theta)^2 *d(phi)^2)
and I am not sure how to deduce the form of the hypersurface from there...
the last bit is a sphere of radius R and independence of t says that this does not change in time.However I have no idea how to think of such a 3-dimensional surface... Help would be appreciated

In the Penrose diagram for Shwarzschild, two degrees of freedom (theta and phi) are suppressed, so a curve r = const is produced by fixing r and letting t vary. Thus, the nature of r = const is greatly influenced by the nature of t.

Now, a definition. A hypersurface is called timelike (spacelike) if the normal 4-vector to the surface is everywhere spacelike (timelike). This does not necessarily mean that, for example, if r is a timelike coordinate, the r = const is a spacelike hypersurface.

For example consider a two-dimensional Minkowski spacetime that is the span of the orthonomal basis {e_0 , e_1}, with e_0 (e_1) being timelike (spacelike). The set {e_0 , e_0 + 1/2 e_1} also spans this space. Use this latter set to coordinatize the space, that is, write any position vector as X^1 e_0 + X^2 (e_0 + 1/2 e_1). Both X^1 and X^2 are timelike coordinates.

Consider the surface (here, a line) X^2 = const. This means fixing X^2 and letting X^1 vary. This produces a timelike line parallel to the timelike X^1 axis, so X^2 = const is a timelike surface (since anything normal to something timelike is itself spacelike) even though X^2 is a timelike coordinate.

Now consider a three-dimensional Minkowski spacetime without (the standard) x^3, and define r^2 = (x^1)^2 + (x^2)^2 in the usual way. The surface r = const is the surface of a cylinder that goes up the t axis. On this cylinder, both spacelike and timelike motions are possible, but, by the above definition, the surface is timellike since its normal is spacelike. On a Penrose diagram, the polar angle theta = tan^-1(x^2/x^1) would be suppressed, so the cylindrical surface r = const would be the timelike line obtained by letting t vary. Howver, each point on the line, say at t = a, actually represents the circle obtainded by the intersection of the plane t = a with the the cylinder r = const. in the original spacetime.

Finally, back to Schwarzschild.

Inside the event horizon, t is a spacelike coordinate, so the Penrose diagram curve produced by fixing r and varying t is spacelike. Each point on the curve represents the two-dimensional surface of a sphere.

Last edited:

1. What is a Penrose diagram?

A Penrose diagram is a graphical representation of the conformal structure of a spacetime. It is used to visualize the causal relationships and global structure of a spacetime, and is often used in the study of black holes and cosmology.

2. What is the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the space-time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It is used to model the gravitational field of a black hole, and is the first exact solution to the field equations.

3. How is the Penrose diagram for the Schwarzschild metric constructed?

The Penrose diagram for the Schwarzschild metric is constructed by transforming the spacetime coordinates into a conformal coordinate system, in which the metric takes on a simpler form. This allows for a visualization of the entire spacetime, including the regions inside and outside the black hole.

4. What do the different regions of the Penrose diagram represent?

The different regions of the Penrose diagram represent different regions of the spacetime. The interior of the black hole is represented by a curved region, while the exterior is represented by a flat region. The boundaries of these regions are known as the event horizon and the singularity.

5. How does the Penrose diagram help us understand the properties of black holes?

The Penrose diagram allows us to visualize the global structure of a black hole, including its event horizon and singularity. It also helps us understand the causal relationships and possible paths of particles in the vicinity of a black hole. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of black holes and their effects on spacetime.