Question on pulleys and tension

In summary, the condition needed to set the system in motion is for the mass m2 to be slightly heavier than m1, causing the tension in the string to exceed the maximum possible friction between m1 and the horizontal surface. When this condition is met, m1 will move forward as the tension in the string increases, while m2 will move downward due to the net force acting on it. The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation T=ma, with the acceleration being equal to the difference between the maximum static and kinetic friction divided by the total mass of the system.
demv18

Homework Statement

Two objects of masses m1 and m2 are connected via a massless string and ideal pulleys. The coefficients of friction between m1 and the horizontal surface are ms and mk
a) what condition needs to be met to set the system in motion?
b)assuming that this condition is (barely) met, describe the motion of the system.
c) what is the tension in the string when the objects are in motion?

Homework Equations

T=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) m2 needs to be slightly heavier than m1
b) m2 will be slightly heavier, the tension in the string increases causing m1 to move forward since they're not in equilibrium.
c) ?

This was on a test, but I got it wrong... he wanted actual equations proving everything and i had no idea how to do any of this. I was just really confused. Can anyone explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
demv18 said:

Homework Statement

Two objects of masses m1 and m2 are connected via a massless string and ideal pulleys. The coefficients of friction between m1 and the horizontal surface are ms and mk
a) what condition needs to be met to set the system in motion?
b)assuming that this condition is (barely) met, describe the motion of the system.
c) what is the tension in the string when the objects are in motion?

Homework Equations

T=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) m2 needs to be slightly heavier than m1
b) m2 will be slightly heavier, the tension in the string increases causing m1 to move forward since they're not in equilibrium.
c) ?

This was on a test, but I got it wrong... he wanted actual equations proving everything and i had no idea how to do any of this. I was just really confused. Can anyone explain it to me?

m1 is on the horizontal surface. The Normal Reaction force = m1g so the maximum possible values of friction will be μsm1g when it is stationary, and μkm1g when it is moving [the s and k refer to static and kinetic friction]. Usually [always?] μk is less than μs.

If the system is stationary, the tension in the string is m2g since the string is supporting the hanging mass m2.
Up on the table, the friction force must be balancing that tension, so the tension must be no greater than the maximum possible friction; μsm1g

If the mass m2 is big enough, the tension will exceed the possible friction, and the system will start to move. ie m2g > μsm1g

Once the system starts to move, the friction force will drop to μkm1g.
This means the masses will accelerate; m1 across the table and m2 down.

Net force on the system [in the direction it can move] is m2g - μkm1g
The total mass of the system is m1 + m2

Using F = ma we get

a = (m2g - μkm1g) / (m1 + m2)

At this point it getting too hard to keep track of all those typing references, so let's pretend a has a value of 2, m2 = 3 kg and g = 10

Net force on m2 = 3 * 2 = 6 N
Weight force down = m2g = 3 * 10 = 30N
SO the tension in the string must be 24N

I will leave it to you to find the expression for tension in the real problem. It is an awful lot easier to write those subscripts with a pen on paper than it is to type them on this computer.

PeterO said:
m1 is on the horizontal surface. The Normal Reaction force = m1g so the maximum possible values of friction will be μsm1g when it is stationary, and μkm1g when it is moving [the s and k refer to static and kinetic friction]. Usually [always?] μk is less than μs.

If the system is stationary, the tension in the string is m2g since the string is supporting the hanging mass m2.
Up on the table, the friction force must be balancing that tension, so the tension must be no greater than the maximum possible friction; μsm1g

If the mass m2 is big enough, the tension will exceed the possible friction, and the system will start to move. ie m2g > μsm1g

Once the system starts to move, the friction force will drop to μkm1g.
This means the masses will accelerate; m1 across the table and m2 down.

Net force on the system [in the direction it can move] is m2g - μkm1g
The total mass of the system is m1 + m2

Using F = ma we get

a = (m2g - μkm1g) / (m1 + m2)

At this point it getting too hard to keep track of all those typing references, so let's pretend a has a value of 2, m2 = 3 kg and g = 10

Net force on m2 = 3 * 2 = 6 N
Weight force down = m2g = 3 * 10 = 30N
SO the tension in the string must be 24N

I will leave it to you to find the expression for tension in the real problem. It is an awful lot easier to write those subscripts with a pen on paper than it is to type them on this computer.

Since the masses were of a size that motion was only just achieved, m2g will be equal to the static friction μsm1g

SO the acceleration can be expressed as:

a = (μsm1g - μkm1g) / (m1 + m2)

1. What are pulleys and how do they work?

Pulleys are simple machines that consist of a wheel with a groove around its circumference. They are used to change the direction of a force applied to an object, and can also be used to increase or decrease the amount of force needed to move an object. The rope or cable that is looped around the pulley creates tension, which allows the object to move.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the amount of tension in a system?

The more pulleys that are used in a system, the less tension is required to move an object. This is because each additional pulley decreases the amount of force needed to lift the object. However, the trade-off is that the distance the rope must be pulled will also increase.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is one that is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley can move along with the load being lifted. In a fixed pulley system, the direction of the force is changed, but the amount of force needed to lift the object remains the same. In a movable pulley system, the amount of force needed to lift the object is reduced, but the direction of the force remains the same.

4. Can pulleys be used to create a mechanical advantage?

Yes, pulleys can be used to create a mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. This is done by using multiple pulleys in a system, which spreads out the load and decreases the force needed to lift it. The mechanical advantage is equal to the number of rope segments supporting the load.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using pulleys?

One potential disadvantage of using pulleys is that they can introduce friction into a system, which can decrease the efficiency of the machine. Additionally, pulleys require a certain amount of space to operate, so they may not be suitable for all situations. They also require regular maintenance and replacement of worn parts in order to function properly.