1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Radius of Convergence for values of x, when f(x) is x^2

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not so much an entire problem I need help with but just a part.

It is a power series where after you do the ratio test, you end up with |4x^(2)| < 1, so |x^(2)| < 1/4.

Since the radius of convergence is |x-a| < R, I end up with -1/4 < x^(2) < 1/4, but because you cannot take the square root of a negative number, I get 0 <= x < 1/2

So how would I describe the Radius of Convergence in this case? Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

|x-a| < R (but in this case after the ratio test you end up with 4x^(2) < 1)

3. The attempt at a solution

See what I wrote in A

EDIT: You can delete this post, I was just spacing on some primary algebra :(

|x^2| < 1/4 -----> |x| < 1/2, -1/2 < x < 1/2 so radius of convergence is 1/2

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you really claiming that -1/4<x^2<1/4, means 0<=x<1/2 so x must be greater than or equal to zero?? That's not true. x=(-1/4) works in your original inequality just fine. Now you tell me, where did you go wrong?

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3
    See my edit :p I'm tired. Realized what I was doing wrong

5. Jul 29, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. A tired problem. Good job solving your own problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook