Question on Radius of Convergence for values of x, when f(x) is x^2

In summary, after using the ratio test on a power series and getting |4x^(2)| < 1, we can conclude that the radius of convergence is 1/2, as shown by the inequality |x^2| < 1/4, which simplifies to |x| < 1/2. However, it is important to note that this does not mean x must be greater than or equal to zero, as the original inequality allows for negative values of x.
gat0man

Homework Statement

This is not so much an entire problem I need help with but just a part.

It is a power series where after you do the ratio test, you end up with |4x^(2)| < 1, so |x^(2)| < 1/4.

Since the radius of convergence is |x-a| < R, I end up with -1/4 < x^(2) < 1/4, but because you cannot take the square root of a negative number, I get 0 <= x < 1/2

So how would I describe the Radius of Convergence in this case? Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

|x-a| < R (but in this case after the ratio test you end up with 4x^(2) < 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

See what I wrote in AEDIT: You can delete this post, I was just spacing on some primary algebra :(

|x^2| < 1/4 -----> |x| < 1/2, -1/2 < x < 1/2 so radius of convergence is 1/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you really claiming that -1/4<x^2<1/4, means 0<=x<1/2 so x must be greater than or equal to zero?? That's not true. x=(-1/4) works in your original inequality just fine. Now you tell me, where did you go wrong?

Dick said:
Are you really claiming that -1/4<x^2<1/4, means 0<=x<1/2 so x must be greater than or equal to zero?? That's not true. x=(-1/4) works in your original inequality just fine. Now you tell me, where did you go wrong?

See my edit :p I'm tired. Realized what I was doing wrong

gat0man said:
See my edit :p I'm tired. Realized what I was doing wrong

Sure. A tired problem. Good job solving your own problem.

1. What is the radius of convergence for values of x in the function f(x) = x^2?

The radius of convergence for this function is infinity, as it is a polynomial function with no restrictions on the values of x.

2. How do I determine the radius of convergence for a given function?

The radius of convergence can be determined by using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is the inverse of this limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

3. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence is always a positive value. It represents the distance from the center of the series where the series will converge.

4. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence indicates the values of x for which the given series will converge. This means that the function will have a well-defined value for these values of x, and the series will not diverge to infinity.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the behavior of a function?

The radius of convergence can affect the behavior of a function in several ways. If the value of x is within the radius of convergence, the function will converge and have a defined value. However, if x is outside the radius of convergence, the function may diverge or have a different behavior, such as oscillating or approaching a limit. Also, the radius of convergence can provide information about the convergence rate of the function.