1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on selecting an engineering major

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    I'm currently undecided between ME and EE. I have much more of an interest in how electronics work than machines. The thing is that I'm not sure how good I am at electrical circuits, etc. I have never taken an electronics class - only Physics I (mechanics). I got an A- in physics and A- in both calc I and II. My concern isn't that I don't have what it takes to major in EE, but how much harder is it than ME. Is the workload/difficulty a lot harder with respect to ME? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You should try the career guidance forums for this. Or someone can move your post if they see it.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

clem

Science Advisor

EE requires more advanced math than ME. If you like math, go to EE.

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    Many engineering courses have a common or similar first year and it is easy to transfer at the end of the first year if you find you have started the wrong course.

go well

6. Aug 22, 2011 #5

clem

Science Advisor

The engineering college I attended had different admission standards for each branch of engineering (in the order EE, ChE, ME, CE), and it was difficult to transfer later.

7. Aug 22, 2011 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the prerequisites at your university for starting an EE major. You don't typically need to know much, if anything, about electronics at the start. That is what the introductory circuits courses are for. Also, depending on what branch of EE you specialize in (e.g. signal processing/communication theory, computer engineering), you may never look at another circuit after those introductory courses.

Workload is typically pretty heavy in any engineering major. EE is more mathematically oriented than most.

8. Aug 22, 2011 #7
    If it's anything like my college's degree plan, you'll be taking the same classes regardless of major for the first couple years, which will include a basic E&M course that includes some work with circuits. In fact, about three quarters of my E&M course's labs involved constructing circuits.

Start with EE. You can always change later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook