Question on Super Heated Water

• Thread starter irobot2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the discussion on the forum addressed the critical point of water, where the liquid and gaseous phases become indistinguishable. This point occurs at 705 °F and 3200 psia, and above this point, water is a supercritical fluid. To maintain liquid water at 705 °F, it must be kept at a high pressure just above the critical pressure.
irobot2020
Hi all, thanks for adding me to the forum.

Simple question - If 705 degrees F is the highest temperature water can exist as a liquid, wouldn't air pressure have to be reduced to a vacuum (or near vacuum) to remain liquid at that temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
irobot2020 said:
Hi all, thanks for adding me to the forum.

Simple question - If 705 degrees F is the highest temperature water can exist as a liquid, wouldn't air pressure have to be reduced to a vacuum (or near vacuum) to remain liquid at that temperature?
What does air pressure have to do with it?

What you are describing is the critical point of water, that condition where the liquid phase and the gaseous phase of water can coexist. This point occurs only when the temperature is 705 °F and the pressure is 3200 psia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_(thermodynamics)

SteamKing said:
What you are describing is the critical point of water, that condition where the liquid phase and the gaseous phase of water can coexist.
Lemme reword that, since I just stepped out of a foggy shower...

Above the critical point, the liquid and gaseous phases of water are no longer separate: they are indistinguishable from each other.

russ_watters said:
Lemme reword that, since I just stepped out of a foggy shower...

Above the critical point, the liquid and gaseous phases of water are no longer separate: they are indistinguishable from each other.
The critical point is the upper end of the saturation line for the liquid and the gaseous phases, where liquid water and water vapor can coexist in equilibrium with one another; above this point, water is a supercritical fluid, and there is no longer any distinction between the liquid and gaseous phases.

Thanks for the responses. I probably should have taken another look at the phase diagram on Wiki (yep, I was already there before posting!) . . .

My bad . . my thinking is backwards. I can clearly see now, (by all means, correct me if I'm wrong) that in order for water to remain a liquid at 705F, is must be kept at an extremely high pressure (the critical pressure), or just a very slight fraction above, while marinating 705F, to keep it from phasing into a supercritical fluid or gas. Right?

irobot2020 said:
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have taken another look at the phase diagram on Wiki (yep, I was already there before posting!) . . .

My bad . . my thinking is backwards. I can clearly see now, (by all means, correct me if I'm wrong) that in order for water to remain a liquid at 705F, is must be kept at an extremely high pressure (the critical pressure), or just a very slight fraction above, while marinating 705F, to keep it from phasing into a supercritical fluid or gas. Right?
Right. Above 3200 psia and 705 °F, there is no more vapor phase or liquid phase, only the supercritical fluid. There is some difference of opinion as to how this supercritical fluid behaves, as hinted to in the Wiki article. Even just below the critical point, the differences between the liquid phase and the vapor phase become less distinct.

1. What is superheated water?

Superheated water is water that has been heated above its boiling point without boiling. This means that the water is in a gaseous state but is still liquid. Superheated water is often used in industrial processes and can be dangerous to handle because of its high temperature and pressure.

2. How is superheated water created?

Superheated water can be created through a process called superheating, in which water is heated above its boiling point in a sealed container. This prevents the water from boiling and causes it to remain in a liquid state at a higher temperature.

3. What are the properties of superheated water?

Superheated water has unique properties due to its high temperature and pressure. It has a lower density than regular water, which means it can hold more dissolved substances. It also has a lower surface tension, which can make it behave differently than regular water.

4. What are the uses of superheated water?

Superheated water has many industrial and scientific uses. It can be used as a solvent for certain substances, as a cleaning agent, and in high-temperature processes such as steam turbines. Superheated water is also being studied as a potential source of renewable energy.

5. Is superheated water dangerous?

Superheated water can be dangerous to handle due to its high temperature and pressure. If not handled properly, it can cause severe burns. However, as long as safety precautions are taken, superheated water can be used safely in various applications.