Question on swept and mitre bends

• Thread starter Ask1122
  • Start date
In summary, mitre bends are better for pressure drop and easier to fabricate than swept bends, but they are worse for flow because of the corner kink.
Ask1122
Hi all, i was wondering why do we use swept and mitre bends instead of just normal elbows?

The change in radius in swept bends can increase or decrease the pressure depending on the orientation. I understand that it can be used to connect pipes in different sizes. But why do it at a bend (flow will be disturbed by both the bend and the change in radius)? Wouldn't it be better to just use a reducer or something?

And for mitre bends, i don't understand why one would even use it? What benefits does it give? Because it does the same thing as elbow, and worse of all, it have a shape 'kink' at the corner which disturbs the flow? So why use it??

Thanks all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mitre bends can be easier for some people to fabricate since all you really need is a straight cut and a weld. The drops are worse in them but everything is a tradeoff. I have only seen mitres in a few installations. I think most people today have the abilities to make what they need from bends and fittings.

A swept bend is pretty nice to use. They are by far the best in terms of pressure drop and are not that difficult to make. Plus it makes sense to put the diameter change in a spot where the flow is already pretty much non uniform. It helps to save as much straight run piping for flow normalization prior to going into things like flow meters, heat exchangers, etc...

Fittings are convenient, but they are pricey and require more work to install usually. Plus you have to have more loose parts lying around, etc... I personally use fittings sparingly when I have to do such things mostly because, if there is going to be a leak, it's going to be at a fitting.

1. What is the difference between swept and mitre bends?

Swept bends have a curved shape, while mitre bends have a sharp angle. Swept bends are typically used for more gradual changes in direction, while mitre bends are used for sharper turns.

2. What are the advantages of using swept and mitre bends?

Swept and mitre bends allow for smooth and efficient flow of fluids, gases, or other materials in a piping system. They also reduce pressure drop and minimize the risk of pipe corrosion.

3. How do I determine the correct angle for a mitre bend?

The angle of a mitre bend is typically determined by the specific application and the required change in direction. Factors such as flow rate, pipe diameter, and material properties should also be taken into consideration.

4. Can swept and mitre bends be used in high pressure systems?

Yes, swept and mitre bends can be designed and manufactured to withstand high pressure systems. It is important to consult with a professional and ensure the bends are properly installed to prevent any potential failures.

5. Are there any limitations to using swept and mitre bends?

While swept and mitre bends have many advantages, they may not be suitable for all applications. For example, they may not be appropriate for systems with high levels of abrasion or where there is a need for frequent maintenance or cleaning.