Question on vacuum heat treatment

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a vacuum heat treatment machine where there is a change in color on SUS304 plates after heating and cooling. The process includes pumping the chamber down, heating the plates, cooling them with Argon gas, and then examining for changes. The issue is that there should not be any changes seen on the plates, but there is a noticeable color change. Possible causes discussed include outgassing during the vacuum bake phase or contamination during the bake/cooling phase. It is suggested to inject the Argon gas while the chamber is hot and to check the cleanliness of the valves.
slyth
Hello. Currently I am doing a test on a vacuum heat treatment machine and came up with an unsolved problem for the past 2 months. I am out of clue and I’m here to hear everyone's opinion. Below are the steps what I did.

1) Vacuum chamber pumped down to 4.5E-04 Pa (Rotary + Mechanical booster pump for roughing, then to turbo molecular + cryo for main pump)
2) A few SUS304 plates inside the chamber are heated up to 1200℃ for 12 hours (pumps are running)
3) After heating, SUS304 plates are cooled down by; 250kPa Argon gas vent into chamber (pumps off, of course) and leaving it for 5 hours.
4) After coolant, SUS304 plates are taken out to see any changes

My problem lies here. Through this process, there SHOULD NOT BE any changes seen on the SUS304 plate. But, I’m seeing a small change of color on the plates. I cannot upload an image of it though, the color changed from a normal SUS304 color to a darker color (Oxidation?! Corrode??)

Few notes:
1) Chamber went through bakeout before test
2) Helium leak test shows no leak (during vacuum)
3) I do not own a spectrometer
4) Argon gas is 99.9999% (supposed to be)
5) Argon gas is supplied by a clean reserve tank
6) No one touched the machine while I was away

My question:
1) What made the SUS304 plate changes it color?
2) Say there is a leak after venting with 250kPa Argon (due to stress). A small amount of Argon gas would escape. From there, are there by any chances that air from outside the chamber gets into the chamber? (which I believe, nearly zero though…)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not easy to get clean, high quality vacuums.
Maybe the plates outgassed during the vacuum bake phase. Or possibly something got deposited on them/reacted with them during the bake/cooloff phase.
I guess you need to inject the Ar while the chamber is hot, but it does raise concern that some contaminant is mobilized at that point. Are the valves clean?

1. What is vacuum heat treatment?

Vacuum heat treatment is a process used to modify the physical and chemical properties of a material by subjecting it to high temperatures in a controlled environment with little to no oxygen present. This is typically done to improve the strength, hardness, and durability of the material.

2. How does vacuum heat treatment work?

Vacuum heat treatment works by placing the material inside a sealed chamber and removing all air and gases using a vacuum pump. The material is then heated to the desired temperature and held at that temperature for a specific amount of time. After the treatment, the chamber is slowly filled with inert gas to prevent rapid cooling and potential distortion of the material.

3. What are the benefits of vacuum heat treatment?

Vacuum heat treatment offers several benefits, including improved mechanical properties of the material, increased resistance to corrosion and wear, and better control over the final product's dimensions and surface finish. It also allows for the treatment of materials that are sensitive to oxygen or cannot be exposed to other gases.

4. What materials can be treated using vacuum heat treatment?

Almost all types of materials can be treated using vacuum heat treatment, including metals, alloys, and even some ceramics. However, the effectiveness of the treatment may vary depending on the material's composition and properties.

5. What are the different types of vacuum heat treatment?

The most common types of vacuum heat treatment include annealing, tempering, quenching, and carburizing. Each type involves heating the material to a specific temperature and holding it for a particular time to achieve the desired result. Other variants may include vacuum brazing and sintering.