1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on vertical pole and equilibrium

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    I have this problem where a pole is vertically balanced, and there are three wires attach on top of it. The wires are fasten to the ground. It looks like a three side pyramid. The question tells me that one of the cable has a tension of 6000 Newtons. How can I find the tension on the other two cable? The wires are not equally distanced. All the lengths are given as well, and I know the unit vectors too.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to calculate the components for each force vector (which are directed along the wires). To be in equilibrium the x and y components much each sum to 0.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    How would I set up the equation with the 6000N?

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4
    I thought about it. After find the xyz components for the 6000N rope, I made the xyz components of the other two ropes equal to it. Is this the right approach?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook