Physics equation for the stable height of the pole?

In summary, someone needs to build a 51 feet tall pole using a gear box with the handle, a strong wire will be attached to the bottom of the pole which will go into the gear box and on rotating the handle the wire will windup in the gearbox and allow the poles head to be brought down or stand it back up. They need the help of a mechanical engineer to calculate the stability of the pole.
JagSingh
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and interested in physics/Maths. Need your help with one of the problem I am trying to solve.

The problem:
Someone needs to build a 51 feet tall pole (usual shape of long lamp posts, thick at the bottom and thin at the top). but they want to make this pole such that it can be brought down and up with least effort, for which they are using a gear box with the handle, a strong wire will be attached to the bottom of the pole which will go into the gear box and on rotating the handle the wire will windup in the gearbox and allow the poles head to be brought down or stand it back up. I hope this makes sense.

For this a base will be made inside which channels wills be fit and within those channels the pole will go up and down. ( Please see attached pic)

Could you please let me know the physics equation that calculates the stability of the pole with inputs of:

1)Channels length inside the base or height of the base
2)channels length outside the base
3)length of the pole
4)weight of the pole
5)weight of the channels(optional)
6)distance of gearbox from the channels/pole

Please let me know if you need further info about this. please check the attached image.

This will be a very interesting pole equation and very helpful. Many Thanks in advance.
Nishaan.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
JagSingh said:
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and interested in physics/Maths. Need your help with one of the problem I am trying to solve.

The problem:
Someone needs to build a 51 feet tall pole (usual shape of long lamp posts, thick at the bottom and thin at the top). but they want to make this pole such that it can be brought down and up with least effort, for which they are using a gear box with the handle, a strong wire will be attached to the bottom of the pole which will go into the gear box and on rotating the handle the wire will windup in the gearbox and allow the poles head to be brought down or stand it back up. I hope this makes sense.

For this a base will be made inside which channels wills be fit and within those channels the pole will go up and down. ( Please see attached pic)

Could you please let me know the physics equation that calculates the stability of the pole with inputs of:

1)Channels length inside the base or height of the base
2)channels length outside the base
3)length of the pole
4)weight of the pole
5)weight of the channels(optional)
6)distance of gearbox from the channels/pole

Please let me know if you need further info about this. please check the attached image.

This will be a very interesting pole equation and very helpful. Many Thanks in advance.
View attachment 79999

Welcome to the PF.

That's a pretty tall pole to not be using guy wires. Can you use guy wires for stability and to erect and lower the pole instead?

What you are describing is termed a 'Tabernacle' when used on sailing boats. You may find it useful to google that term and you will find a lot of qualitative (at least) discussions abut the problem. If you are really wanting to raise a 51 ft mast of any significant mass then you will need a pretty hefty installation and a tall tabernacle. Using sheerlegs, which are mounted at right angles to the mast, can reduce the loading during raising or dropping masts (google can help here too). You will definitely need some extra spar for this exercise (or a large diameter wheel).
To do the sort of calculation you are after, requires the application of the principle of moments and is fairly straightforward. Frankly, I should say that you would need the help of a mechanical Engineer if you actually plan to do this for real. It is a potentially hazardous thing to do and you need everything to be strong enough - with lots to spare. And there could be the small matter of liability and insurance, although I raise and lower my 10m mast every year, relying on back of a fag packet sums when I designed the tackle. I use the s/s rigging that's on the mast already and it is a bit of a scary exercise for the first few times. Then there are windy days . . . . . . .:woot:

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory and berkeman
Thanks very much for replying... This video might give you some more idea what I am trying to achieve. although the pole in the video is brought down and up using the hydraulic lift system.

I want to create the same using the grearbox and hand operated rotating handle.

In case you can point me to the right source of information, it will be great.

Many Thanks..

JagSingh said:
Thanks very much for replying... This video might give you some more idea what I am trying to achieve. although the pole in the video is brought down and up using the hydraulic lift system.

I want to create the same using the grearbox and hand operated rotating handle.

In case you can point me to the right source of information, it will be great.

Many Thanks..
Seeing all those people in your video further convinces me that you need professional help with this. You could have a disaster on your hands. You could, perhaps, copy the arrangement in the video but replace the hydraulics with a lever system. But this is not a suitable project for a first timer who, as you tell us, doesn't know basic Mechanics. Everything about the mechanism needs to be specified - down to the arrangement and sizes of nuts and bolts used, the gauge of the material for the tabernacle and the diameter of the pivot.
Don't be misled by the jolly decorations on the mast in that video. it needs to be done properly; you owe it to the spectators.
i think that help from PF could be against our practices and I will check with the Mods.

Likes berkeman
Agreed. Thread is closed.

What is the physics equation for the stable height of the pole?

The physics equation for the stable height of the pole is h = √(Ld/2), where h is the height of the pole, L is the length of the pole, and d is the distance between the base of the pole and the center of gravity of the pole.

How is the physics equation for the stable height of the pole derived?

The equation is derived from the principle of moments, which states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This equation takes into account the weight of the pole and its distance from the base.

What factors affect the stable height of the pole?

The stable height of the pole is affected by the length of the pole, the weight of the pole, and the distance between the base and the center of gravity of the pole. Other external factors such as wind and ground conditions can also impact the stability of the pole.

How is the physics equation for the stable height of the pole used in real-world applications?

The equation is commonly used in construction and engineering to determine the appropriate height and placement of poles or other vertical structures such as flagpoles and light posts. It helps ensure that the structure is stable and can withstand external forces.

Are there any limitations to the physics equation for the stable height of the pole?

Yes, the equation assumes that the pole is a uniform, rigid structure and that the base is fixed. It also does not take into account dynamic forces such as vibrations or sudden gusts of wind, which can affect the stability of the pole.