Question regarding electromagnetic interaction

• Thread starter Lory73
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello
I attach a question (PDF-file) which I found in an old physics book, I printed the question and re-generated the drawing which were a bit hard to scan.

Can anyone answer the attached question, I think I know the answer but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Lory

Attachments

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
Tell us what you think the answer is, and your reasoning, and then we can either confirm it or rip it to shreds. :biggrin:

Well, the obvious answer is that the plate experience a force downward.
The thing that puzzles me is whether the accelerated electrons are suppose to generate an ossilating electric field to both diretions (up and down) or a unidirectional electric field due to the fact that they are only accelerated in one direction.

Now, am I right ?

pam
There will be a non-oscillating electric field E_a in the direction of the acceleration, exerting a downward force on the positively charged plate, as you say.
There will also be an electric field E_b pointing toward the electron, which would exert a leftward force on the plate. E_a falls off as 1/r, while E_b falls off as 1/r^2, so each will dominate at different distances.
An oscillating charge radiates an oscillating field, but this charge is not oscillating.

Thanks Pam