Question regarding electromagnetic interaction

In summary, Lory has shared a question from an old physics book and has recreated a drawing to make it easier to understand. They are seeking confirmation on their answer, which involves the plate experiencing a downward force due to accelerated electrons. They are also questioning whether the electrons will generate an oscillating or unidirectional electric field. Pam responds by confirming Lory's answer and explaining the different fields that will be present.
Lory73
Hello
I attach a question (PDF-file) which I found in an old physics book, I printed the question and re-generated the drawing which were a bit hard to scan.

Can anyone answer the attached question, I think I know the answer but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Lory

Attachments

• Flqztest74rev0.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you think the answer is, and your reasoning, and then we can either confirm it or rip it to shreds. :biggrin:

Well, the obvious answer is that the plate experience a force downward.
The thing that puzzles me is whether the accelerated electrons are suppose to generate an ossilating electric field to both diretions (up and down) or a unidirectional electric field due to the fact that they are only accelerated in one direction.

Now, am I right ?

There will be a non-oscillating electric field E_a in the direction of the acceleration, exerting a downward force on the positively charged plate, as you say.
There will also be an electric field E_b pointing toward the electron, which would exert a leftward force on the plate. E_a falls off as 1/r, while E_b falls off as 1/r^2, so each will dominate at different distances.
An oscillating charge radiates an oscillating field, but this charge is not oscillating.

Thanks Pam

What is electromagnetic interaction?

Electromagnetic interaction is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between charged particles. This force is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between particles, as well as the transmission of electromagnetic radiation.

What is the role of electromagnetic interaction in everyday life?

Electromagnetic interaction plays a crucial role in many aspects of our everyday lives. It is responsible for the functioning of electronic devices such as cell phones and computers, as well as the production of light and heat.

How does electromagnetic interaction differ from other fundamental forces?

Unlike other fundamental forces such as gravity and the strong and weak nuclear forces, electromagnetic interaction can act over long distances. It also has a much stronger force compared to gravity, but weaker than the strong nuclear force.

What are the main applications of electromagnetic interaction in the field of science and technology?

Electromagnetic interaction has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used in medical imaging techniques like MRI, in communication systems such as radio and television, and in electric motors and generators.

How do scientists study electromagnetic interaction?

Scientists study electromagnetic interaction through various experiments and theoretical models. They use tools such as electromagnets and particle accelerators to observe and measure the effects of this force on particles and matter.