1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding optics(prism)

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

figure shows a 90 degrees triangular prism of refractive index n whereby light enters at point A with an incident angle of θ. The light then refracts at point B with an angle of refraction of 90 degrees.

determine index of refraction, n in terms of θ. refer to figure attached.

2. Relevant equations

using snell's law of refraction,

3. The attempt at a solution

first I used an snell's law to get an eqn

using properties of angles and triangles I got
    θ2, θ3 and θ4.
    θ1=θ3, θ2=θ4.

using snell's law again I got
    n.sinθ4=1.sin 90 degrees

I tried using trigonometry to compute the thetas together and eventually eliminate θ1. But I was not able to do so. Am I missing something?
    Since I got stuck, I thought if θ1=45 degrees, getting n in terms of θ is not a problem. But I reasoned to myself that it cannot be possible as I do not know θ4 and n. So making an assumption is not right. I think? I could be wrong though.. hmm..

help would be greatly appreciated and I am sorry if posted anything wrongly such as the format or thought process since this is the first time I am posting.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have two equations

sinθ = n sinθ1
    n sinθ4 = 1

Can you find a relation between θ1 and θ4?
  4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    hmm.. thanks for replying.. I went through that before.. basically 1=ncosθ1 since 90 degrees-θ4=θ1=θ3. and if i were to combine both eqns together, it will result in

the thing is I couldnt eliminate θ1 but I eliminated n instead. I even tried substituting other values of relevant θ into the equation and it got me more irritated. It feels like Im missing something right before my eyes and I cannot comprehend what is it that I missed. oh man. Anyway, this qns is the first part of a 4 parts 12 marks qns. So the solution shouldnt be too complicated. Thanks for replying again.
  5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

So cosθ1=1/n. What is sinθ1 in terms of n?

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5
    oh my. hahaa. thanks for making me rethink the qns. i managed to n in terms of theta. thanks again!!! : D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook