1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question relating to shifting a circle.

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    This problem arose for me while working out a triple integral in spherical coordinates. Basicly I know that when we shift a parabola along the axis it is simply translated. I naturally assumed that if we shifted a circle in a similar manner that it would act the same.

However when we shift a circle along the axis, such as one with the equation

[itex] (x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1 [/itex] We find that the entirety of the circle now sits above the x axis, and that our radius becomes [itex] 2cos∂ [/itex]

Could anyone shed some light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

you've moved the center to (1,0) but the circle should still have a radius of 1

try some points (0,0) , (1,1) , (1,1) and (1,-1) all satisfy the equation and show that the radius is 1 and not as you say and that ithe circle still lies on the x-axis

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex] (x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1 [/itex] is the equation of a circle having radius 1 with its center at (1, 0).

Here's a ploy from WolframAlpha:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=48823&stc=1&d=1341241390.gif

Attached Files:

5. Jul 2, 2012 #4
    Alright I guess I just misunderstood the solution on the problem set.. thank you.

6. Jul 2, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After reading your Original Post, it looks as if you might be converting [itex](x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] to polar coordinates with the result, [itex] r=2\cos\theta\,. [/itex] If so, that variable, r, does not refer to the radius of the circle, it's the the distance that the point (x, y) is from the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook