1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question that i am finding really hard

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Hi

I tried this question a couple times, couldnt figure it out, thought maybe you guys could help.

1. The maximum load that can safely be supported by a rope in an overhead hoist is 400N. What is the maximum acceleration that can safely be given to a 25kg object being hoisted vertically upward?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the net force on the object if the rope is pulling as hard as it can?

Hint: Identify all forces acting on the object.

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3
    i can't figure out net force as i do not have acceleration....all i have is what is the max load the rope can take which is 400, the gravity which is -9.8 as it is going upwards and the 25 kg load

5. Nov 16, 2006 #4

Doc Al

First find the net force, then use it to find the acceleration.

What forces act on the object? Hint: There are two forces acting. What is the magnitude and direction of each force?

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5
    I am not sure how to find the net force. Am i right in asuming that the 2 forces acting on the object, is the downward force of m*g and the upwards force of m*-g?

7. Nov 16, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Gravity acts downward on the object with a force equal to mg. And, no, the upward force does not equal -mg, otherwise the net force would be zero... no acceleration at all.

Besides gravity, what force acts on the object? Hint: Isn't the rope attached to the object?

8. Nov 16, 2006 #7
    is it 400 N?

so Fnet = 400 - mg?

9. Nov 16, 2006 #8

Doc Al

That's it!

10. Nov 16, 2006 #9
    ok so then this is what i think the solution would be

Fnet = 400 - mg

a= Fnet / m
    a= (400 - (25)(9.8))/25

and that should give me the answer i need. That does that seem right to u?

11. Nov 16, 2006 #10

Doc Al

Perfecto...

12. Nov 16, 2006 #11
    thanks so much for the help i really appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?