Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question that i am finding really hard

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Hi

I tried this question a couple times, couldnt figure it out, thought maybe you guys could help.

1. The maximum load that can safely be supported by a rope in an overhead hoist is 400N. What is the maximum acceleration that can safely be given to a 25kg object being hoisted vertically upward?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the net force on the object if the rope is pulling as hard as it can?

Hint: Identify all forces acting on the object.

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3
    i can't figure out net force as i do not have acceleration....all i have is what is the max load the rope can take which is 400, the gravity which is -9.8 as it is going upwards and the 25 kg load

5. Nov 16, 2006 #4

Doc Al

First find the net force, then use it to find the acceleration.

What forces act on the object? Hint: There are two forces acting. What is the magnitude and direction of each force?

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5
    I am not sure how to find the net force. Am i right in asuming that the 2 forces acting on the object, is the downward force of m*g and the upwards force of m*-g?

7. Nov 16, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Gravity acts downward on the object with a force equal to mg. And, no, the upward force does not equal -mg, otherwise the net force would be zero... no acceleration at all.

Besides gravity, what force acts on the object? Hint: Isn't the rope attached to the object?

8. Nov 16, 2006 #7
    is it 400 N?

so Fnet = 400 - mg?

9. Nov 16, 2006 #8

Doc Al

That's it!

10. Nov 16, 2006 #9
    ok so then this is what i think the solution would be

Fnet = 400 - mg

a= Fnet / m
    a= (400 - (25)(9.8))/25

and that should give me the answer i need. That does that seem right to u?

11. Nov 16, 2006 #10

Doc Al

Perfecto...

12. Nov 16, 2006 #11
    thanks so much for the help i really appreciate it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook