Finding the time in a tension problem

In summary, the question asks for the minimum time it takes for a construction worker to hoist 93 kg of material, initially at rest, 8 m up, using a rope and pulley system without exceeding the rated tension of 500N. To solve this, we need to calculate the maximum acceleration of the material by determining the net force acting on it. Using the weight of the material (93 kg) and the force of gravity (9.81 m/s^2), we can find the tension in the rope to be 912.33 N. However, since the rope is only rated for 500N of tension, we need to find the maximum acceleration that will keep the tension at or below 500N. By
foozeball2468
Hi I am new to this site. I have been stuck on this homework question for quite some time. A construction worker uses a rope and pulley system to hoist material. The rope is rated to withstand 500N of tension. What is the minimum time the construction worker can hoist 93 kg of material, intially at rest, 8 m up without exceeding the rated tension of the rope? neglect friction and the intertia of the rope and pulley

To be quite honest I don't even know where to start with this problem! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the maximum allowable acceleration of the material?

wouldnt that be 9.81 m/s^2 but how can I incorporate this into the problem?

foozeball2468 said:
wouldnt that be 9.81 m/s^2
No, you have to solve for the acceleration using Newton's 2nd law. What forces act on the material as it is being raised?

Once you find the maximum acceleration, use kinematics to solve for the time.

gravity-9.81 m/s^2(down)and the tension 500N (up)

foozeball2468 said:
gravity-9.81 m/s^2(down)and the tension 500N (up)
Almost right. Gravity acts down with a force (not an acceleration) equal to the material's weight. (What's the weight of the material?)

93 kg

foozeball2468 said:
93 kg
That's the mass. Use it to figure out the force of gravity (the weight).

93*9.81=912.33 n

foozeball2468 said:
93*9.81=912.33 n
Looks good. Keep going.

okay from here Fnet=T-Fg 412.33=93kg(a) =412.33/93= 4.43 m/s^2

foozeball2468 said:
The rope is rated to withstand 500N of tension.
Are you sure that the max tension is only 500 N? That's not even equal to the weight of the material. (Sure it's not 5000 N?)

Yes I am postive that part is straight out of the book, then the teachers typed question is "what is the minimum time the construction worker in prob 70(which states the 500N tension rating of the rope) can hoist 93 kg of material, intially at rest, 8 m up, without exceeding the rated tension of the rope. The final answer is 4.10 seconds but I obviously need to show how to get there

foozeball2468 said:
Yes I am postive that part is straight out of the book,
Then we need more information, such as the exact arrangement of ropes and pulley. (Post a diagram.) You need to determine the force exerted on the material when the rope is at maximum tension.

Sorry I did not realize it was of great significance
trial.jpg
This is a construction worker ussing a rope and pulley system to hoist construction material to an upper floor

Good. If the rope tension is 500 N, how much force do the ropes exert up on the pulley/material?

I am not quite sure would I divide the tension of 500N by the weight of 93 kg and get 5.4m/s^2 since would the force be 500 N on the object?

Last edited:
foozeball2468 said:
I am not quite sure would I divide the tension of 500N by the weight of 93 kg and get 5.4m/s^2 since would the force be 500 N on the object?
No. You aren't ready to calculate the acceleration yet, you still have to determine the net force on the material.

Analyze the diagram and figure out how much upward force is exerted on the pulley. Hint: Count how many times the rope pulls up.

1. How do you determine the time in a tension problem?

The time in a tension problem can be determined by using the equation: time = distance/velocity. This equation applies to scenarios where an object is moving with a constant velocity.

2. What if the object is not moving at a constant velocity?

If the object is not moving at a constant velocity, the equation for time in a tension problem becomes more complex. In this case, you will need to use the kinematic equations of motion to solve for time. These equations take into account acceleration and initial velocity to determine the time taken for the object to reach a given distance.

3. Can you use the same method to find time in all tension problems?

No, the method for finding time in a tension problem may vary depending on the specific scenario. In some cases, you may need to use other equations or principles such as Newton's laws of motion to determine the time. It is important to carefully consider the given information and choose the appropriate method for solving the problem.

4. What is the unit of measurement for time in a tension problem?

The unit of measurement for time in a tension problem is usually seconds (s) or milliseconds (ms). This may vary depending on the units used for distance and velocity in the given problem. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when solving for time.

5. Can the tension affect the time in a tension problem?

Yes, the tension can affect the time in a tension problem. This is because the tension force can impact the acceleration of the object, which in turn affects the time taken for the object to reach a certain distance. It is important to consider the tension force when solving for time in a tension problem.