1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question to a calculation rule -> Dirac formalism

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question: Am I allowed to do the following, where the a's are operators and the alphas are quantum states.

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger \mid \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \mid a a \mid \alpha \rangle[/tex]

Well, I think I am allowed to, but I'm not sure how to verify this.

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you can't. For that to be true, you'd have to have ##\lvert \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \rvert = 1##, which is almost certainly not the case.

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3

and when the alpha is a coherent state?

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not even then, it would require the annihilation operator to be a self-adjoint operator (moreover a projector), which is not the case.

6. Nov 12, 2012 #5
    Ok thank you.

my problem is the following: I want to simplyfy the following expression

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

I'm very uncertain about calculation rules when it comes to operators and states

is the expression above the same as?:
    [tex] \langle \alpha \mid (a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle) [/tex]

or doesn't that help at all?

I think the aim here is to get an expressin which only has the alpha (as an eigen value) in it. The task is about calculating the expectation value

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. Nov 12, 2012 #6
    [tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle
    = \alpha \alpha^* \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle +|\alpha|^2
    = |\alpha|^4 +|\alpha|^2[/tex]

sorry for making a new reply, I tried to edit, but didn't come out in latex format.
    To get to this solution I used that

[tex] a\mid \alpha \rangle = \alpha \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

and the equivalent for the bra vector

8. Nov 12, 2012 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks OK to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook