Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question to a calculation rule -> Dirac formalism

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question: Am I allowed to do the following, where the a's are operators and the alphas are quantum states.

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger \mid \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \mid a a \mid \alpha \rangle[/tex]

Well, I think I am allowed to, but I'm not sure how to verify this.

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you can't. For that to be true, you'd have to have ##\lvert \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha \rvert = 1##, which is almost certainly not the case.

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3

and when the alpha is a coherent state?

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not even then, it would require the annihilation operator to be a self-adjoint operator (moreover a projector), which is not the case.

6. Nov 12, 2012 #5
    Ok thank you.

my problem is the following: I want to simplyfy the following expression

[tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

I'm very uncertain about calculation rules when it comes to operators and states

is the expression above the same as?:
    [tex] \langle \alpha \mid (a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle) [/tex]

or doesn't that help at all?

I think the aim here is to get an expressin which only has the alpha (as an eigen value) in it. The task is about calculating the expectation value

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. Nov 12, 2012 #6
    [tex] \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a + a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a^\dagger a a \mid \alpha \rangle + \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle
    = \alpha \alpha^* \langle \alpha \mid a^\dagger a \mid \alpha \rangle +|\alpha|^2
    = |\alpha|^4 +|\alpha|^2[/tex]

sorry for making a new reply, I tried to edit, but didn't come out in latex format.
    To get to this solution I used that

[tex] a\mid \alpha \rangle = \alpha \mid \alpha \rangle [/tex]

and the equivalent for the bra vector

8. Nov 12, 2012 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks OK to me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook