1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question;weights,faulty balance

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Hi,

A body weighs 8gm when placed in one pan and 18gm when placed on the other pan of a false balkance. If the beam is horizontal when both the pans are empty, then what is the true weight of the body?

How do I do this? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let the pans have mass m1 and m2. Let the body have a mass of x.

When the body is placed on pan1 one has to add 8 g. to pan 2 to balance it. When the body is placed on pan2 one has to add 18 g. to pan 1 to balance it.

I would suggest that you write out the relationship between m1, m2, x and the added masses in each weighing and solve. You won't solve for m1 and m2 but you should be able to solve for m1-m2 and x.

AM

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    If the beam is horizontal when both the pans are empty, doesnt that mean both the pans have equal mass?

Anway, is this what you meant?
    m1 = km2
    m1 + x = m2 + 8
    m2 + 18 = m2 + x

solving, x = 13? Is this correct?

My book says the correct answer is 12gm..

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite, because it is a false balance. But I think I may have misled you a little on my first answer.

A balance works by equalizing torque. You can say that m1r1 = m2r2 where r1 and r2 are the distances of m1 and m2 from the fulcrum. If r1 and r2 are equal, the balance balances only if m1 = m2. We are told that this is not the case here. So all we can say is that:

m1r1 = m2r2

Therefore,

(m1 + x)r1 = (m2 + 8)r2

(m1 + 18)r1 = (m2 + x)r2

Work that out for x. The answer in the book is correct.

AM

6. Oct 26, 2006 #5
    ok thanks a lot!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?