Questions about operators and commutators

In summary, this equation is between two different operators and needs to be tested by acting the left and right hand sides on the same wavefunction. If this equation holds true for any wavefunction, then the operators must be equal.
maverick_76
so I have an expression here:

[P,g(r)]= -ih dg/dr

P is the momentum operator working on a function g(r).

Is this true because when you expand the left hand side the expression g(r)P is zero because the del operator has nothing to work on?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have here is an equation between two different operators.
On the one hand that commutator, and on the other hand, that derivative.

In order to test this equation, you need to act the left and right hand sides on the same wavefunction, say [itex]\psi(r)[/itex].
If you find that [itex][P,g(r)]\psi(r) = -i\hbar \frac{dg}{dr}\psi(r)[/itex], no matter what [itex]\psi(r)[/itex] is,
then the operators must be equal as well.

Likes maverick_76 and Greg Bernhardt
jfizzix said:
The equation you have here is an equation between two different operators.
On the one hand that commutator, and on the other hand, that derivative.

In order to test this equation, you need to act the left and right hand sides on the same wavefunction, say [itex]\psi(r)[/itex].
If you find that [itex][P,g(r)]\psi(r) = -i\hbar \frac{dg}{dr}\psi(r)[/itex], no matter what [itex]\psi(r)[/itex] is,
then the operators must be equal as well.

Maybe I'm missing something here, because my limited knowledge of commutators says that the left hand side unpacked is

{ Pg(r)-g(r)P } Ψ(r)

I'm not sure how to show that

g(r)iħ dΨ/dr = 0 in order for the expression above to hold true.

The expression above is not equal to zero because:
when the momentum operator [itex]P[/itex] is before both [itex]g(r)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(r)[/itex], that gradient acts on the product [itex]g(r)\psi(r)[/itex] (and the product rule comes into affect), so you get one more term than you'd get otherwise when you compute the gradient. Indeed, that extra term is the same as what's on the right hand side of the equation:
[itex](Pg(r) - g(r) P)\psi(r) = -i\hbar \frac{dg}{dr}\psi(r)[/itex]

When the momentum operator [itex]P[/itex] is after [itex]g(r)[/itex], then the gradient inside [itex]P[/itex] just acts on [itex]\psi(r)[/itex].

Likes maverick_76
Ah I see now. So now how would I go about proving this expression:

[g(P), r] = -iħ dg/dP

I'm not sure how the del operator works inside a function.

My thoughts are g(P) unpacks as such:

-iħ∇(p) (the partial derivative with respect to P)

so g(P)r would be:

-iħdg/dP

I mean using the logic from the previous solution this allows for the second expression to hold true. Not sure if I'm following the math rules though...

maverick_76 said:
Ah I see now. So now how would I go about proving this expression:

[g(P), r] = -iħ dg/dP

I'm not sure how the del operator works inside a function.

There's probably many ways to deal with a situation like this, but I think the easiest would be to do the calculation in momentum space, so that [itex]g(p)[/itex] is just a function of the variable [itex]p[/itex] , while [itex]x[/itex] is then expressed as the operator [itex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dp}[/itex]. Then the problem can be solved in the same way as before.

1. What is an operator in quantum mechanics?

An operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of a physical observable, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

2. What is the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is a mathematical operation that determines how they interact with each other. It is defined as the difference between the operators multiplied in two different orders. This can help us understand the relationship between different physical observables in quantum mechanics.

3. How do operators and commutators relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. Operators and commutators play a crucial role in this principle, as they allow us to calculate the uncertainties in these observables and understand the limitations of measuring them simultaneously.

4. Can operators and commutators be used to solve quantum mechanical problems?

Yes, operators and commutators are essential tools in solving quantum mechanical problems. They allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

5. What are some common examples of operators and commutators in quantum mechanics?

Some common examples of operators and commutators in quantum mechanics include the position and momentum operators, the angular momentum operators, and the energy and time operators. These are used to describe and analyze the behavior of particles and systems in quantum mechanics.