1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about using iteration to express a recurisve sequence

1. Nov 24, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, i'm having some issues on a few problems and i'm not sure if i did the first one i'm going to post right, any help or clarifcation would be great.

The directions are: In eavch of 3-15 a sequence is defined recursively. Use iteration to guess an explicit formula for the sequence.

and here is my work:

For the last one, I see that the 2 is increasing at the same rate as the 3^k, but i have no idea about the pattern, i'm not sure what technique i'm suppose to use, i know they said "guess" a formula, but what will help me make an educated guess? Of course there are some easy ones like n! that i can recongize but these arn't so easy for me to see whats going on.

I can see i can factor out a 2 and a 3^2 from p_4 but i don't see how that is going to help me much, getting:
    [tex]2^4 + 3^4 + 2*3^2(1 + 3)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    You made a bit of an arithmetic mistake: that should be [tex]2^2 3^2[/tex], not [tex]2^1 3^2[/tex]. If you continue on I think you'll notice that [tex]p_n = 2^n + 3^n + \left( 2^{n-2} 3^2 + 2^{n-3} 3^3 +...+ 2^1 3^{n-1} \right)[/tex]. That stuff in parentheses is a geometric series.
  4. Nov 26, 2006 #3
    Thanks durt!
    I'm alittle confused on how you got some of the terms of n
    [tex]p_n = 2^n + 3^n + \left( 2^{n-2} 3^2 + 2^{n-3} 3^3 +...+ 2^1 3^{n-1} \right)[/tex]

But the parts of it I don't understand is how do you know after looking at a few terms, like a_1 to a_4 how you figure out which exponents go to a certian power, such as [tex]2^{n-2} 3^2 + 2^{n-3} 3^3 +...+ 2^1 3^{n-1}[/tex] ?

I see that [tex]2^n + 3^n[/tex] would be just n because they are increasing at the same time, but from there whats the process to break that down into the other powers of n?

Also I could replace that geometric series with the following sum right?
    First term is [tex]2^{n-2} 3^2[/tex]
    ratio is: 3/2 I believe because 2 is decreasing and 3 is increasing as you progress
    term after the last term is: [tex]3/2* 2^1 3^{n-1}[/tex] = [tex]3^{n-2}[/tex]

so now applying a formula:
    [mythical next term - first term]/(ratio-1)
    = ( [tex]3^{n-2}[/tex] - [tex]2^{n-2} 3^2[/tex] )/(3/2 -1)
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?