Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions from Peskin and Schroeder

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

On page 42 of Peskin, at the bottom they say that the next transformation should follow:

##[i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - m ]\psi (x) \rightarrow [i\gamma^\mu(\Lambda^{-1})^\nu_\mu \partial_\nu - m ] \Lambda_{1/2} \psi (\Lambda^{-1}x)##

But why does the factor ##\Lambda_{1/2}## appear there? shouldn't it be without this factor?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No, there must be this factor, because the spinor field is not a scalar but (as the name suggests) a spinor. More precisely it's a bispinor or Dirac-spinor, and thus ##\Lambda_{1/2}## belongs to the ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)## representation of the Lorentz group. Unfortunately Peskin-Schroeder is not very explicit in the group-theoretical aspects of the whole game. To really understand, what's behind the fields, I recommend

Sexl, Roman U., Urbandtke, Helmuth K.: Relativity, Groups, Particles, Springer, 2001

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

On which pages exactly do they discuss this issue?

Thanks.

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well you can even see that in Srednicki's book...eg eq 34.1
    The spinor gets transformed by a Lorentz transformation, as well as its argument.

6. Jun 29, 2015 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

In a coordinatetransformation you should transform everything. The psi transforms nontrivially under a coordinatetransformation. Hence your factor Lambda_{1/2}. Compare to the Maxwell equations; performing a coordinate transformation transforms the field A.

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

8. Jun 29, 2015 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Wait a minute, let's make it rigorous.
    we have ##i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m ] \psi(x) ##, so what is transformed is ##i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \rightarrow i\gamma^\mu (\Lambda^{-1})^\nu _\mu \partial_\nu## and ##\psi(x)\rightarrow \Lambda_{1/2} \psi(\Lambda^{-1}x)## is this right?

And we get this annoying factor since it's a transformation of spinors, right? In scala transformation we don't have this factor.

9. Oct 13, 2015 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have another question from Peskin's, on page 46 they say:"
    Now apply the same boost to ##u(p)##. According to equations (3.26) and (3.30) which are respcetively: ##S^{0i}=-\imath /2
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \sigma^i& 0\\
    0& -\sigma^i \end{bmatrix}##

and ##\Lambda_{1/2} = \exp (-\imath /2 \omega_{\mu \nu} S^{\mu \nu}## we get:
    [tex]u(p) = \exp(-1/2 \eta
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \sigma^3& 0\\
    0& -\sigma^3 \end{bmatrix}) \sqrt{m}
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \xi\\
    \xi \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I don't understand how did we get the last boost? How to infer this exponential matrix? Shouldn't we take: ##\Lambda_{1/2}\sqrt{m} (\xi , \xi)^T##, what happened to the other terms in ##\omega_{\mu \nu} S^{\mu \nu}##?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. Oct 15, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I guess the boost is taken along the z-axis ?

11. Oct 15, 2015 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

@ChrisVer yes the boost is taken over 3-direction, but how do you arrive at this matrix from ##\omega_{\mu \nu} S^{\mu \nu}##?

12. Oct 15, 2015 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think that the generators of boosts are the [itex]S^{0i}[/itex]... as a result all the [itex]\omega_{\mu \nu}[/itex] (the transformation parameters) that don't match to this must be zero.
    Then taking only the 3-direction of boosts [itex]\omega_{03}\ne0 \equiv \eta[/itex].

13. Oct 15, 2015 #12

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

@ChrisVer that's what I also thought, but wasn't sure.

14. Oct 17, 2015 #13

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

On page 46 it's argued that you can verify directly that ##u(p) =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \sqrt{p\cdot \sigma} \xi\\
    \sqrt{p\cdot \bar{\sigma}} \xi
    \end{bmatrix}##
    solves the Dirac equation: ##
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -m& i\sigma \cdot \partial\\
    i\bar{\sigma}\cdot \partial & -m \end{bmatrix}
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \psi_L\\
    \psi_R\end{bmatrix} = 0
    ##
    I don't see how exactly, if I plug ##u(p)## back to Dirac equation I get:
    ##
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -m\sqrt{p\cdot \sigma} \xi + i\sigma \partial (\sqrt{p\cdot \bar{\sigma}} \xi)\\
    i\bar{\sigma}\partial(\sqrt{p\cdot \sigma} \xi) - m \sqrt{p\cdot \bar{\sigma}}\xi\end{bmatrix}## what identity do I miss here and why (I mean why does the identity follow or where does it appear in Peskin's?).

Thanks in advance.

15. Oct 29, 2015 #14

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

16. Oct 29, 2015 #15
    I think actually not ##u(p)## is the solution but ##u(p)e^{-ipx}## (compare to eq. 3.45). The ##\partial##'s in your equation will then be replaced by ##-ip##.
    The first line then reads

## -m \sqrt{p\sigma}\xi + \sigma p \sqrt{p\bar\sigma}\xi = -m \sqrt{p\sigma}\xi + \sqrt{(p \sigma) (p\sigma) (p\bar\sigma)}\xi ##

With relation 3.51 ## (p \sigma)(p\bar\sigma) = p^2 = m^2 ## it follows that this is zero, and similar for the second line.

17. Oct 29, 2015 #16

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

18. Oct 30, 2015 #17

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

@Dr.AbeNikIanEdL how do I prove this identity (3.51)?

I mean we have: ##p^\mu \cdot \sigma^\mu p^\mu \cdot \bar{\sigma}^\mu = (E-p\cdot \sigma)(E+p\cdot \sigma) = E^2 - (p\cdot \sigma)^2=E^2 - \vec{p}^2 ##

Why is the last equality correct?

19. Oct 30, 2015 #18

CAF123

Gold Member

@MathematicalPhysicist: $$(\vec \sigma \cdot \vec p)^2 = \sigma_i p_i \sigma_j p_j = \sigma_i \sigma_j p_i p_j = (2 \delta_{ij} - \sigma_j \sigma_i)p_i p_j = 2 \vec p^2 - (\vec \sigma \cdot \vec p)^2$$ Therefore ## (\vec\sigma \cdot \vec p)^2 = \vec p^2##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook