Questions regarding applied waves?

In summary, in class today, the students tried to match the sound of a tuning fork with a humming. They attempted to produce a sine wave, but were unsuccessful due to the human voice producing multiple harmonics in addition to the fundamental frequency of the tuning fork. The class also experimented with different vocalizations such as "eeee" and "aaaa", which produced different results. The students also discussed "hiss" as a form of "white noise", but noticed that the amplitudes of the frequencies present were not exactly equal. Further research is needed on this topic.
zell_D
in class today, we hit a tuning fork and tried to match it with a humming. now what I Want to know is that is this even possible? we tried a lot of times and tried to produce a sine wave but failed horribly. although at the max amplitude, the frequency of our hum matched with that of the tuning fork... does that count lol?

we also did eeeee's and aaaaa's, but they are all different, i guess this is what's suppose to happen?

we also did hiss's, which someone bought up to be "White noise". but i thought white noises are suppose to have all frequencies present with equal amplitudes... although all freqs were present, their amplitudes weren't exactly the same (although close). why is that?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You couldn't produce a perfect sine wave because while a tuning fork produces just the fundamental frequency the human voice produces multiple harmonics in addition giving it it's distinctive sound.

There's a good MIT online video with a professor putting the sound of several instruments through an oscilloscope and showing the resulting waves.

I'll look into the white noise question, I don't know that much about it.

bump :X

1. What are applied waves?

Applied waves are waves that are intentionally created or manipulated for a specific purpose. This can include using waves for communication, energy transfer, medical imaging, and more.

2. What are some examples of applied waves?

Some common examples of applied waves include radio waves, microwaves, sound waves, and light waves. These waves are used in various technologies such as cell phones, microwaves, speakers, and cameras.

3. How are applied waves different from natural waves?

Applied waves are created or altered by humans for a specific purpose, while natural waves occur naturally in the environment. Applied waves also tend to have a specific frequency and amplitude, whereas natural waves can vary in both of these characteristics.

4. How are applied waves beneficial to society?

Applied waves have a wide range of applications that make our daily lives easier and more efficient. They are used in communication, transportation, medical technology, and many other industries. Without applied waves, many modern technologies would not be possible.

5. How do scientists study applied waves?

Scientists study applied waves through a combination of theoretical models and experimental methods. They use mathematical equations and computer simulations to understand how waves behave in different scenarios. They also use instruments such as oscilloscopes and spectrometers to measure and analyze the properties of applied waves.