General wave equation conceptual questions

In summary, the general wave equation defines the displacement of an element along the wave's travel at a given time, represented by the function y(x,t) = ymsin(kx-ωt). The amplitude, ym, is the maximum displacement of elements from their equilibrium position. The variables k and ω act as scale factors for the spatial and time frequencies of the wave, respectively. The frequency of a sine wave function is the distance between the wave's crests or troughs, making k the spatial frequency and ω the time frequency. These variables help determine the speed of the wave.
ColtonCM

Homework Statement

The general wave equation can be shown as: y(x,t) = ymsin(kx-ωt)

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

My question relates to the variables present in this equation. I understand what the amplitude is, its the magnitude of the maximum displacement of elements from their equilibrium position as a wave passes through them.

I understand that the y(x,t) term is the displacement of an element x-distance along the waves travel at time t.

I understand that the x inside the argument of the function describes which element is being looked at along the wave's travel.

I understand that the phase of the equation is the argument of the sine function. Where I get conceptually confused is the other terms inside the phase.

My book describes k as the angular wave number: k = 2π/λ. Can anyone here give me a more general or conceptual description of what k is as a physical property of the traveling wave?

Likewise, I know that ω is angular frequency. I know that the ω is related to period by ω = 2π/T, so similarly T = 2π/ω. So the same question above applies, what is ω as a property of the wave, what is it describing?

Thank you,

Colton

Physics news on Phys.org
k and ω are simply scale factors for the variables x and t.

The frequency of a sine wave function is the distance between the wave's crests (or also troughs). Therefore k can be thought of as the spatial frequency and ω as the time frequency of the wave i.e. a scaling factor when measuring the distance between crests (or troughs).

The measurement of speed is distance divided by time. So for a wave the distance is the measured distance between any two crests (or troughs) divided by the time for the wave to travel between these two points. This gives the speed of the wave then:
v = (1/k)/(1/ω) = ω/k

Last edited:
paisiello2 said:
k and ω are simply scale factors for the variables x and t.

The frequency of a sine wave function is the distance between the wave's crests (or also troughs). Therefore k can be thought of as the spatial frequency and ω as the time frequency of the wave i.e. a scaling factor when measuring the distance between crests (or troughs).
I think you meant to have the word time rather than distance (the word I bolded).

I guess I meant "value" → length value for x and time value for t.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the general wave equation?

The general wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the propagation of waves in a medium. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the spatial and temporal variations of a wave's displacement or amplitude.

2. What is the significance of the wave equation in science?

The wave equation is a fundamental concept in many branches of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to describe a wide range of phenomena, from sound and light waves to seismic waves and electromagnetic waves. It allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums.

3. How is the general wave equation derived?

The general wave equation is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy. It can also be derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. The derivation involves mathematical techniques such as differential calculus and Fourier analysis.

4. What are the key parameters in the general wave equation?

The key parameters in the general wave equation are the wave's amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. These parameters determine the shape, size, and behavior of the wave. The medium in which the wave propagates also plays a crucial role in the wave equation and can affect the values of these parameters.

5. How is the general wave equation used in real-world applications?

The general wave equation has numerous real-world applications, including in telecommunications, medical imaging, and seismology. It is used to design and optimize communication systems, such as antennas and fiber optic cables. It also helps in the development of medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound and MRI. In seismology, the wave equation is used to study and predict earthquakes and other seismic events.