1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding DC circuits

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    I have one confusing issue to resolve:

What is the resistance between points [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] in simple system illustrated in attachment?Wouldn`t be logical to assume that it is [tex]0[/tex],as current strives to flow through path with lowest possible resistance,if I understood it correctly?

Yes,I know that real transmission lines have some resistance,but in network anaylsis their resistance is considered to be equal to zero.

Attached Files:

• ab.gif
      ab.gif
      File size:
      1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You have a short circuit so what ever the resistance of the wire connecting point A and B.

CS

4. May 12, 2008 #3
    Yeah, it's zero assuming everything's ideal. Mathematically even, you have a wire ([tex]R=0[/tex]) in parallel with a resistor ([tex]R=R_0[/tex]). Then the parallel combination is:

[tex]R_{eq} = \frac{1}{ \frac{1}{0} + \frac{1}{R_0} } = \frac{1}{\infty + \frac{1}{R_0}} = 0[/tex]

I should probably have put some limits in there to be mathematically correct, but you get the idea.

5. May 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks to both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?