Questions regarding special relativity.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
MidgetDwarf
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
735
I recently found and interest in physics after reading KK Introductory Mechanics. I was thinking of learning EnM from Purcell. From my reading of these forums. Purcell introduces Max. Equations using special relativity. I do not know anything about SR (you can I am a virgin at physics).

I read that T.M helliwell was a good place to start, and Wheeler also.

I found a copy of Helliwell for 6 dollars, it is the 1960's edition (maybe 1st), it is 209 pages compared to the newer 300 and something. Should I get the older one are the 100 pages substantial information not present in the first edition.Does anyone have better alternatives? I don't want to actually read a special relativity book with the same rigor as say Spivak Calculus at this moment. Just enough to have an understanding of what is happening in Purcell. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I actually found this book to be nice for SR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072397144/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It's not completely thorough, merely a great introduction to Lorentz transformations and things like that. It absolutely covers everything used by Purcell, and then Purcell has a brief (~5 pg) overview of the SR needed to work through the E&M problems.