Questions regarding special relativity.

In summary, the conversation discusses different resources for learning special relativity, specifically for understanding the concepts used in Purcell's book on E&M. The options mentioned include T.M Helliwell's book, Wheeler's book, and Griffith's book. One person recommends an introduction to Lorentz transformations as a good starting point, while another person mentions finding an older edition of Helliwell's book for a lower price. The main goal is to gain enough understanding of SR to comprehend Purcell's book.
MidgetDwarf
I recently found and interest in physics after reading KK Introductory Mechanics. I was thinking of learning EnM from Purcell. From my reading of these forums. Purcell introduces Max. Equations using special relativity. I do not know anything about SR (you can I am a virgin at physics).

I read that T.M helliwell was a good place to start, and Wheeler also.

I found a copy of Helliwell for 6 dollars, it is the 1960's edition (maybe 1st), it is 209 pages compared to the newer 300 and something. Should I get the older one are the 100 pages substantial information not present in the first edition.Does anyone have better alternatives? I don't want to actually read a special relativity book with the same rigor as say Spivak Calculus at this moment. Just enough to have an understanding of what is happening in Purcell. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffith's is a decent introduction to both.

I actually found this book to be nice for SR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072397144/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It's not completely thorough, merely a great introduction to Lorentz transformations and things like that. It absolutely covers everything used by Purcell, and then Purcell has a brief (~5 pg) overview of the SR needed to work through the E&M problems.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains the behavior of objects moving at a constant velocity and the effects of the speed of light on space and time.

2. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at a constant velocity in a flat, non-accelerating space, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and accelerated motion. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that encompasses special relativity.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. It is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference, meaning that all observers will measure the same speed for light regardless of their own motion. This is a key principle in special relativity.

4. How does special relativity explain time dilation and length contraction?

Special relativity states that the perception of time and space is relative to the observer's frame of reference. When an object moves at high speeds, time appears to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer. Similarly, the length of an object appears to contract in the direction of motion for the moving object relative to the stationary observer.

5. Can special relativity be experimentally proven?

Yes, special relativity has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. Its predictions, such as time dilation and length contraction, have also been observed in particle accelerators and in the GPS system. Special relativity is one of the most well-tested theories in physics.