1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Questions regarding special relativity.

1. May 30, 2015 #1
    I recently found and interest in physics after reading KK Introductory Mechanics. I was thinking of learning EnM from Purcell. From my reading of these forums. Purcell introduces Max. Equations using special relativity. I do not know anything about SR (you can I am a virgin at physics).

I read that T.M helliwell was a good place to start, and Wheeler also.

I found a copy of Helliwell for 6 dollars, it is the 1960's edition (maybe 1st), it is 209 pages compared to the newer 300 and something. Should I get the older one are the 100 pages substantial information not present in the first edition.

Does anyone have better alternatives? I don't want to actually read a special relativity book with the same rigor as say Spivak Calculus at this moment. Just enough to have an understanding of what is happening in Purcell. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2
    Griffith's is a decent introduction to both.

4. Jun 15, 2015 #3
    I actually found this book to be nice for SR:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ideas-That-Shaped-Physics-Frame-Independent/dp/0072397144
    It's not completely thorough, merely a great introduction to Lorentz transformations and things like that. It absolutely covers everything used by Purcell, and then Purcell has a brief (~5 pg) overview of the SR needed to work through the E&M problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted