1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding University Physics textbook

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    Hi I'm planning to self study physics from University physics by Freedman so i have a couple of questions

1) how important is the Mastering physics package if the goal is to self-study? Could i make it without masterin physics?
    2) Should i get the technology update edition?
    3) What are the major differences between 12th and 13th edition? It seems to me that 12th edition is much cheaper, but I also want good explanations and a clear text so I'm not left wondering if i clearly understood the concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Publishers issue frequent new editions of textbooks like this one, to cut down on the number of students who buy used copies instead of new ones. The changes are almost certainly very small: re-shuffled and re-numbered homework problems, changes in page numbers, etc., that make it difficult to use an old edition with a professor's syllabus that was written using the new edition.

For self-study this doesn't make any difference, so feel free to go with the cheaper edition.

I've never used any of the add-on stuff nor required students to use it, so I can't comment on how beneficial it might be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted