1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick and easy question about what symbols to use (I already solved the problem)

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An aluminum ring of radius r1 and resistance R is placed around the top of a long air-core solenoid with n turns per meter and smaller radius r2 as shown in Figure P31.7. Assume that the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid over the area of the end of the solenoid is half as strong as at the center of the solenoid. Assume that the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of ΔI / Δt.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A=pi(r2)2
    ε=d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dt = (1/2)μ0n[pi(r2)2](current in solenoid at increasing rate)
    I = ε/R

I solved this problem using numbers using the same equations I have. I dont know what symbols to use to represent "current in solenoid at increasing rate". I tried ΔI / Δt - didnt work. I tried dI/dt - didnt work. I am entering the formula into a website and it has to take it strictly which is really ticking me off because I know how to do these types of problems but dont know "what they are looking for" ... grrr, someone please help me or give me suggestions :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The current in the solenoid is given by the symbol I. It is increasing at a rate ΔI/Δt.

Hope that helps (if not then please post again to clarify what you are asking).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook