Induced Current Due to a Solenoid

In summary, the problem involves an aluminum ring with a certain radius and resistance placed on top of a long air-core solenoid with a specific number of turns per meter and radius. The solenoid produces a magnetic field that is half as strong over the end of the solenoid as it is at the center, and this field does not extend outside of the solenoid's cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of 270 A/s. The question is asking for the induced current in the ring. The correct equation to use is Iring = (\mu0nsolenoidAsolenoid/2R) (dI/dt), where Asolenoid is the cross-sectional area
zachfoltz

Homework Statement

An aluminum ring of radius 5.00 cm and resistance 3.00 × 10–4 Ω is placed on top of a long air-core solenoid with 1 000 turns per meter and radius 3.00 cm. Over the area of the end of the solenoid, assume that the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid is half as strong as at the center of the solenoid. Assume the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of 270 A/s. (a) What is the induced current in the ring?

Homework Equations

I = abs(emf)/R
emf = -Nd[itex]\phi[/itex]b/dt
Bsolenoid=[itex]\mu[/itex]0nI

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm somewhat confidant I know how to solve this problem but my solutions manual is telling me a different answer and the solutions manual's explanation seems wrong. What I did was simply combined all of the equations above to get:
Iring = ([itex]\mu[/itex]0nsolenoidAring/2R) (dI/dt)

The solutions manual says it should be:
Iring = ([itex]\mu[/itex]0nsolenoidAsolenoid/2R) (dI/dt)

So basically my question is which area should i use to find the flux of the magnetic field through the ring.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
If the book is right why would you use the area of the solenoid to calculate the flux?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound into a cylindrical shape. It is typically made of copper or other conductive material and has multiple loops of wire. When an electrical current passes through the wire, it creates a magnetic field that can be used for various applications.

2. How does a solenoid induce current?

When a solenoid is placed near a conductor, the changing magnetic field created by the solenoid can induce an electrical current in the conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers.

3. What factors affect the strength of induced current in a solenoid?

The strength of the induced current in a solenoid depends on several factors, including the number of loops in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the resistance of the conductor.

4. How is the direction of induced current determined in a solenoid?

The direction of the induced current in a solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the magnetic field created by the solenoid, the direction of the induced current will be in the direction of your curled fingers.

5. How is the induced current in a solenoid used in everyday applications?

The induced current in a solenoid is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like doorbells, relays, and magnetic locks. In these applications, the induced current is used to produce motion or to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another.