1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced current of a coil surrounding a solenoid

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coil with 170 turns, a radius of 5.0 cm, and a resistance of 12 ohms surrounds a solenoid with 230 turns/cm and a radius of 4.7 cm; see the figure. The current in the solenoid changes at a constant rate from 0 to 1.8 A in 0.11 s.

Calculate the magnitude and direction of the induced current in the 170-turn coil.

2. Relevant equations
    EQ1: induced emf (of a circular conducting loop surrounding a solenoid)
    = -(mu_0)(n)(A)(dI/dt)
    where n is the turns per length in the solenoid with changing current dI/dt and loop of area A.
    EQ2: induced emf = -(dflux/dt)
    EQ3: flux = BA
    EQ4: B_solenoid = (mu_0)(n)(I)
    EQ5: I_induced = (induced emf)/R

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to take equation 1 and compute the emf for a single loop, then I multiplied that times 170. I then divided that by 12 to get the current. However, MP says it's wrong. My result was 0.053 A using n = 23,000 turns/m, A = pi * 0.05^2, and dI/dt = 1.8/0.11.

Note: Problem is #67 from Ch 29 of Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics By Douglas C. Giancoli, 4th ed.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted