Magnetic field and Induced Electric field inside a solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solenoid with specific dimensions and a decreasing current. The overarching question is to calculate the rate at which electromagnetic energy is leaving the solenoid at t=1 second. The conversation goes on to discuss using Amperes law and Faraday's law to derive expressions for the magnetic and electric fields inside the solenoid. The attempted solution is provided, with a request for help in understanding how to handle the derivative of the current in the second part of the problem.
m0t0xk1d

Homework Statement

The problem give is: A solenoid has N=500 windings, radius a=.1 m and a height h = .6m; the current is found to be decreasing according to I(t) = Io - bt, where Io = .4 amps and b = .2 amps/second.
Calculate the rate at which electromagnetic energy is leaving the solenoid at t=1 second. Answer this overarching question by answering the following set of guided questions.

1. using amperes law derive an expression for the magnetic field inside the solenoid. your expression for the magnetic field with be a function of time.
2. use Faraday's law to calculate the electric field inside the solenoid

Homework Equations

Faradays law = ∫E*dl = -d[itex]\Phi[/itex] / dt
amperes law = ∫B*dl = [itex]\mu[/itex]o * I

The Attempt at a Solution

my questions are for part 1 and 2 not the actually over hanging question of the energy.

For part 1 my attempt was amperes law = ∫B*dl = [itex]\mu[/itex]o * I. so B*L = [itex]\mu[/itex] * I. Then B = ( [itex]\mu[/itex] * I *N)/L. So once I got to here, to make B a function of time (B(t)) I plugged in the equation for I(t) for I and got B(t) = ( [itex]\mu[/itex] * N / L ) (Io - bt). I have no way to see if this is right or wrong so I wanted to see if someone could check my work.

So for part 2 I got ∫E*dl = -d[itex]\Phi[/itex] / dt = ∫E*dl = A dB/dt. then E *2[itex]\pi[/itex]r = A dB/dt. Then doing some algebra I got E = R/2 *db/dt = r/2 d/dt([itex]\mu[/itex]oNI/L) from there on I went on to E = r/2 * [itex]\mu[/itex]o N/L * dI/dt. This is where it really stumps me. I don't know what to do with dI/dt. my original equation for I = Io - bt. My first thought was take the derivative which I came dI/dt = 1 - bt, but then I came to thinking b is .2 amps/second, which is already the rate at which I is decreasing, So I thought dI/dt = -b. but either was I was still unsure and looking to see if someone could help me out on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1 looks correct to me.

Part 2, the formula for E looks correct but dI/dt is the rate of change of I with respect to time. So you have to take the first derivative of I. I think looking at the units as you started to do will confirm the answer for you.

Related to Magnetic field and Induced Electric field inside a solenoid

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How does a solenoid create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field because the moving charges in the wire create a circular magnetic field around the wire.

3. How is an electric field induced inside a solenoid?

When a changing magnetic field passes through a solenoid, it induces an electric field inside the solenoid. This is known as electromagnetic induction and it follows Faraday's law of induction.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced electric field inside a solenoid?

The strength of the induced electric field inside a solenoid depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the solenoid's core.

5. How is the direction of the induced electric field determined inside a solenoid?

The direction of the induced electric field is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.