1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help deriving an equation for electric field created by solenoid

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very long solenoid of circular cross section with radius a= 4.80 cm has n= 77.0 turns/cm of wire. An electron is sitting outside the solenoid, at a distance r= 5.30 cm from the solenoid axis. What is the magnitude of the force on the electron while the current in the solenoid is ramped up at a rate of 38.0 Amps/s?

2. Relevant equations
    emf= -L * dI/dt

F=E*q

L for a solenoid=mu not*N^2*A/l

3. The attempt at a solution
    From what another has told me, this is the sequence of steps that works, but I want to know why:
    ------------------------------
    The induced emf is μo*n*A*dI/dt = 4πx10^-7*7400*π*0.0540^2*36 = 3.07x10^-3V

So the electric field = V/2πr = 3.07x10^-3/(2π*0.0590) = 8.27x10^-3N/C

So the force on the electron = E*q = 8.27x10^-3N/C*1.60x10^-19C = 1.32x10^-21N
    --------------------------------

I want to start from basics and build the above. So far I start with:

emf= -L * dI/dt

and inductance for a solenoid=mu not*N^2*A/l

so I make:
    emf= -mu not*N^2*A/l * dI/dt

now N=number of turns and l=unit length for 1 turn so I can use the above info to turn N/l into the variable n to get rid of l.

So n=N/l and
    emf= -mu not*N*(N/l)*A * dI/dt

now I can solve for emf, but I get stuck here because I don't know where E=V/(2pi r) comes from. I need E to plug into F=E*q to get the final answer. I know E=(q/A)/(2*epsilon not), but the only formula I know relating E to V is V= E*d, but I don't think it applies here.

Am I even on the right path to solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    I've figured out where I went wrong and had to spend a long time learning more about electromagnetism.

Now I'm struggling to find the direction of the force. I put absolute values in my calculation to avoid sign changes and ended up with a magnitude of 1.28x10^-21N.

Where do I begin to find the direction of the force on the electron?

I recognize there is a b field inside the solenoid going to the right so the force on the electron needs to be such that it makes a b field opposite of this direction to obey the laws of conservation of energy and I know how to do the right hand rule, but don't know how to apply it to this situation. I know direction of B is left, but don't know direction of velocity or force so I don't know how the right hand rule could be used here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook