Quick calculus for introductory physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's plan to self-study for AP Physics C, despite having only basic knowledge of differential calculus. The student asks for recommendations for introductory study guides and is advised to focus on practicing problems in order to truly understand calculus and its applications in physics. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a review book and taking practice tests to expedite the learning process.
omz222
I'm a high school student planning to self-studying for AP Physics C (introductory calculus-based physics), but so far I've only learned basic differential calculus. What kinds of introductory study guides (read: not textbooks) could quickly give me a working knowledge of the differential and integral calculus used in AP Physics C? Would Schaum's or Dummies work?

Physics news on Phys.org
work? It's entirely subjective. You should know by now which ways you'll study best. Personally, I can't think of how it would even be possible to learn calculus or solve physics problems without a textbook. Maths is learned through practice and physics is understood through problems - as far as I'm aware that's the easiest way to do it. To really understand calculus and have a 'working knowledge' you'll need to do plenty of problems. Knowing how integration works isn't the same as being able to use it.

and sorry, to return to the original point of your thread - I've seen Schaum's and can't say I've been too impressed by any of those books so I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions.

I do have a textbook, but my primary problem is time - so I don't intend the guides as a way to "learn" calculus thoroughly, but as a way to give me a basic knowledge of the math concepts that drive physics, so that I can get onto the physics right away.

are you taking the ap mechanics or electricity or both?

Get an AP review book and take the practice tests if your in a hurry.

1. What is "Quick calculus" and how does it apply to introductory physics?

"Quick calculus" refers to a simplified approach to using calculus concepts in introductory physics. It involves using basic differentiation and integration techniques to solve problems without going into too much detail or using advanced calculus methods.

2. Can quick calculus be used to solve all problems in introductory physics?

No, quick calculus may not be applicable to all problems in introductory physics. It is most useful for solving problems that involve basic functions, such as linear, quadratic, and exponential functions.

3. How can quick calculus be used to find derivatives and integrals in introductory physics?

Quick calculus involves using simple formulas and rules to find derivatives and integrals of basic functions. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule for derivatives, and the power rule and substitution method for integrals.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to use quick calculus in introductory physics?

No, a strong background in calculus is not necessary to use quick calculus in introductory physics. Basic knowledge of calculus concepts and rules is sufficient to apply quick calculus techniques to solve problems in introductory physics.

5. How can using quick calculus benefit students in introductory physics?

Using quick calculus can help students save time and effort when solving problems in introductory physics. It also allows them to focus on the physics concepts and principles rather than getting bogged down by complicated calculus calculations.