Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick complex numbers question in QM (probability amplitues)

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    [RESOLVED] Quick complex numbers question in QM (probability amplitues)

Im a little confused here. Im reading in my textbook about probability amplitudes in Stern Gerlach measurements, and it says this:

We find the resulting probabilities for deflection of [tex]\left(\stackrel{\alpha}{\beta}\right)[/tex] in the x and y directions as:

[tex]Prob(\pm in x) = \left|\frac{\alpha\pm\beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{2}(|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 \pm \alpha*\beta \pm \beta*\alpha) = \frac{1}{2} \pm Re(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

[tex]Prob(\pm in y) = \left|\frac{\alpha\mp i\beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{2}(|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 \mp i\alpha*\beta \mp i\beta*\alpha) = \frac{1}{2} \pm Im(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

Now I understand where the amplitudes come from and everything, the thing I dont understand is the functions Re and Im, and how they simplified the amplitudes to

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \pm Re(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \pm Im(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

So can someone please explain these functions Re and Im and how they work here?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any complex number z can be written in the form z=x+iy, where x and y are real numbers called the real part and the imaginary part of z respectively. x and y are uniquely determined by this decomposition, i.e. if x'+iy'=x+iy, then x=x' and y=y'. So there exists a function that takes a complex number to its real part, and a function that takes a complex number to its imaginary part. These functions are called Re and Im respectively.

Note that

z=Re z + i Im z
    z*=Re z-i Im z

and that this implies

Re z=(z+z*)/2
    Im z=(z-z*)/(2i)

Now what do you get when you compute the real and imaginary parts of [itex]\alpha^*\beta[/itex]?

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    OH! so:

1/2 + Re(a*b) = 1/2 + (a*b + b*a)/2 = 1/2 (1 + a*b + b*a)

but 1 = |a|2 + |b|2

so we get:

1/2 + Re(a*b) = 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2 + a*b + b*a)

woohoo, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Ok Im not seeing the Im part though:

1/2 + Im(a*b) = 1/2 + (a*b - b*a)/2i = (i + a*b - b*a)/2i ??

I cant seem to get the result in the book of 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2 - ia*b + ib*a)

EDIT: Oh you just multiply top and bottom by i and it works out!! got it, thanks agian!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook