Quick double integral question

However, it seems like you may have misunderstood the point about the surfaces intersecting. In summary, the problem asks for the volume of the region between the surfaces z = 4x^2 + 2y^2 and z = 3 + x^2 - y^2. To find this volume, one must first find the points where the two surfaces intersect, which is when x^2 + y^2 = 1. Using this information, the region can be set up as an iterated integral, where the integrand is 3(1-x^2-y^2). This can also be converted to polar coordinates for easier integration, but this may not be allowed depending on the problem's constraints.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region R between the surfaces [itex]z = 4x^2 + 2y^2 \space and \space z = 3 + x^2 - y^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I think I have an idea about how to do this one. First I check when the two surfaces intersect, that is when [itex]4x^2 + 2y^2 = 3 + x^2 - y^2[/itex]. So the two surfaces meet when [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] which is a circle of radius 1 with center (0,0).

So either x or y run from -1 to 1, it doesn't really matter which one I pick here I think, so I'll hold y fixed : [itex]-1 ≤ y ≤ 1[/itex]

Now solving [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] for x yields [itex]x = ± \sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] as my upper and lower limits for x.

Now all that's left to figure out is... what is f? I believe intuitively that f will be the bigger surface minus the smaller surface. So subtracting my two surfaces I get : [itex]3 + x^2 - y^2 - 4x^2 - 2y^2 = 3(1 - x^2 -y^2)[/itex]

So that my iterated integral becomes :

[itex]\int_{-1}^{1} \int_{- \sqrt{1-y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-y^2}} 3(1 - x^2 -y^2) \space dxdy[/itex]

Evaluating that shouldn't be a problem, I'm just hoping I did everything properly while setting it up. If anyone could clarify for me it would be great :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region R between the surfaces [itex]z = 4x^2 + 2y^2 \space and \space z = 3 + x^2 - y^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I think I have an idea about how to do this one. First I check when the two surfaces intersect, that is when [itex]4x^2 + 2y^2 = 3 + x^2 - y^2[/itex]. So the two surfaces meet when [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] which is a circle of radius 1 with center (0,0).

So either x or y run from -1 to 1, it doesn't really matter which one I pick here I think, so I'll hold y fixed : [itex]-1 ≤ y ≤ 1[/itex]

Now solving [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] for x yields [itex]x = ± \sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] as my upper and lower limits for x.

Now all that's left to figure out is... what is f? I believe intuitively that f will be the bigger surface minus the smaller surface. So subtracting my two surfaces I get : [itex]3 + x^2 - y^2 - 4x^2 - 2y^2 = 3(1 - x^2 -y^2)[/itex]
This looks OK. The surface z = 4x2 + 2y2 has a larger z value than the surface z = 3 + x2 - y2 for most points in the domain; namely all of the points that are outside the circle of intersection. The region you're interested in, though, is on or inside the circle. For this region, the second equation has the larger z values.
Zondrina said:
So that my iterated integral becomes :

[itex]\int_{-1}^{1} \int_{- \sqrt{1-y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-y^2}} 3(1 - x^2 -y^2) \space dxdy[/itex]

Evaluating that shouldn't be a problem, I'm just hoping I did everything properly while setting it up. If anyone could clarify for me it would be great :)!

I think it would be much easier to convert to polar form. The circle simplifies to r = 1, and the integrand simplifies to 3(1 - r2).

f(x,y)=1-x2-y2 gives a [strike]sphere[/strike] paraboloid, you can use this to avoid integrals at all (and add the prefactor later). Otherwise, polar coordinates are useful.

Edit: Oh, missed the missing square root.

Last edited:
I don't believe we're allowed to use polar coordinates yet ( wish I could ), but I would see why it would make things easier.

So my integrand is correct, but incorrect? A little confused with the feedback.

mfb said:
f(x,y)=1-x2-y2 gives a sphere
No, it doesn't. The graph of this function is a cone. If the equation were z2 = 1-x2-y2, then the graph would be a sphere.
mfb said:
, you can use this to avoid integrals at all (and add the prefactor later). Otherwise, polar coordinates are useful.

Zondrina said:
I don't believe we're allowed to use polar coordinates yet ( wish I could ), but I would see why it would make things easier.

So my integrand is correct, but incorrect? A little confused with the feedback.
I believe your integrand is correct. I don't believe anyone said it was incorrect.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by two nested integral signs and is used to calculate the total area under a surface.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral involves the integration of a function over a one-dimensional interval, while a double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. A single integral has one variable of integration, while a double integral has two variables of integration.

How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use a mathematical formula to evaluate the integral. This formula involves multiplying the function by the differential area element and integrating over the given region.

What is the purpose of a double integral?

A double integral is used to find the total area under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is also used in calculating volumes, masses, and other physical quantities in the field of mathematics and science.

How is a double integral used in science?

In science, double integrals are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to calculate the total work done by a force, the center of mass of an object, and the probability of events occurring in a given area, among other applications.