1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Green-Gauss theorem Question

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    "Quick" Green-Gauss theorem Question

HELLO!! I am a grad student in Mech & Aero Engineering and have come across a bit of trouble with one of my problems. I'd appreciate your assistance.

"Given a general closed surface S for which the position vector and normal are known at every point, derive a formula for the volume enclosed by S. Verify your relation for the special case of a sphere."

I know to begin with the Green-Gauss theorem, which relates surface integrals to volume integrals (sorry I don't know how to display mathematics in here), but I'm not sure how to manipulate the bounded volume and isolate!

thank you - Ciao
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Gauss's theorem states:

[tex]\int_A (\nabla \cdot \vec F) dV = \int_{\partial A} \vec F \cdot d \vec A[/tex]

Where [itex]A[/itex] is a volume in space and [itex]\partial A[/itex] is its bounding surface. If you can find a vector function [itex] \vec F[/itex] with [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec F=1[/itex], then the LHS, and so also the RHS, is equal to the volume of A.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?