Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick Green-Gauss theorem Question

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    "Quick" Green-Gauss theorem Question

HELLO!! I am a grad student in Mech & Aero Engineering and have come across a bit of trouble with one of my problems. I'd appreciate your assistance.

"Given a general closed surface S for which the position vector and normal are known at every point, derive a formula for the volume enclosed by S. Verify your relation for the special case of a sphere."

I know to begin with the Green-Gauss theorem, which relates surface integrals to volume integrals (sorry I don't know how to display mathematics in here), but I'm not sure how to manipulate the bounded volume and isolate!

thank you - Ciao

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Gauss's theorem states:

[tex]\int_A (\nabla \cdot \vec F) dV = \int_{\partial A} \vec F \cdot d \vec A[/tex]

Where [itex]A[/itex] is a volume in space and [itex]\partial A[/itex] is its bounding surface. If you can find a vector function [itex] \vec F[/itex] with [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec F=1[/itex], then the LHS, and so also the RHS, is equal to the volume of A.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook