1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick laplace transform question

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I know 1/(s-a)=e^(a1), but why is say, 2/((s+4)^2) equal to 2xe^-4x? Do I just simply add an X if the numeration is a constant other than 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2
    Why don't you evaluate the Laplace transform of the expression and see what you get?

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    2*e^(-4*x) is what I get, I don't know where the other x came from.

Well I mean I know it's because it's squared, I just don't see how my laplace transform formula is giving me that

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4
    Like I said, evaluate the LT of the expression with the x's and report back with what you got.

6. Oct 19, 2015 #5
    L(2x*e^(-4x)) = 2x* 1/(s-4)

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6
    Am I suppose to treat it as two different Laplace transforms combined? Not sure how that would work but I know the two individual formulas below
    2/((s+4)^2)

1/s^n = t^n-1/(n-1)! = x*2
    and
    1/(s-a) = e^-4x

8. Oct 20, 2015 #7
    Let's see you do the integration. How come you didn't include the leading x in the integration?

Chet

9. Oct 20, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, your original statements, that "1/(s-a)=e^(at)" and that "2/((s+4)^2) is equal to 2xe^-4x" are non-sense. You knew that when you wrote them, didn't you? What you meant was that "1/(s- a)" is the Laplace Transform" of "e^(at)" and that "2/((s+ 4)^2)" is the Laplace Transform of "2xe^(-x)". It is always better to say what you mean!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted