1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about raising and lowering operators (ladder operators)

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Reading through my QM text, I came across this short piece on ladder operators that is giving me trouble (see picture). What I am struggling with is how to get to equations 2 and 3 from equation 1.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Where does the i infront of the x go?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PhysicsGirl90! :smile:
    It disappeared when they multiplied the whole thing by the constant i/√(ωh) :wink:

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3
    Hey tiny-tim,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but i get stuck trying to get the same equation as the text. I have included what i got so far in the picture. Can you give it a look and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Attached Files:

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey PhysicsGirl90! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

the RHS of what you got is the same as in the text :wink:

(apart from a constant, and you can always multiply an eigenvector by any constant!)

6. Mar 15, 2013 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This is a very sloppy "derivation" of the ladder operators. First of all
    is not correct, since [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] are operators. (By the way, it should be [itex]d/dx[/itex], not [itex]d/d\hat{x}[/itex].) You can get inspiration from what algebraic factoring would give, if these were ordinary variables, in order to investigate operators that look like the roots. But [itex]a_+[/itex] and [itex]a_-[/itex] are not "derived" this way.

You can also notice that [tex]\hat{X} = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}} \hat{x}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{P} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{m \hbar \omega}} \hat{p}[/tex] are dimensionless.

7. Mar 15, 2013 #6
    Thanks again tiny-tim and thank you DrClaude for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted