1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Lowering Operator

1. Jun 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let A be a lowering operator.

2. Relevant equations
    Show that A is a derivative respects to raising operator, A†,

A=d/dA†

3. The attempt at a solution
    I start by defining a function in term of A†, which is f(A†) and solve it using [A , f(A†)] but i get stuck after that. Can someone please explain briefly what i should do in the next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2015 #2
    ##A_+|n> = |n-1> \, , \, A_-|n+1> = |n> ## so
    $$ A_+\,A_-\, |n> = |n> \,\Rightarrow\,\left(A_+A_- + [A_+,A_-]\right)|n> = |n> $$

4. Jun 26, 2015 #3
    sorry, i dont quite understand. Mind to explain it?

5. Jun 26, 2015 #4
    ## |n> = \Psi_n ## my English is very poor for this theme. ## \frac{d}{dA_+}\left(A_+A_-+1\right) ## is that you need.

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

You didn't write out the commutation relations in your initial post. I.e., ##~[A, A^\dagger] = \dots ~?##

Start by working out ##[A, (A^\dagger)^2]##, and ##[A, (A^\dagger)^3]## using the Leibniz product rule for commutators. This should help you see the pattern. Then try to prove ##[A, (A^\dagger)^k] = k (A^\dagger)^{k-1}## by induction on ##k##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted