1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about the acceleration formula

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    When you use the formula a=F*k, what are the units of k (such as N, m, s, that kind of thing). I need to know for a problem I have to do for homework, so if you could clear it up for me it would help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2
    Think about it this way, a is ms^-2, and F is N. By the definition of 1 N, 1 N = 1 kg ms^-2
    ms^-2 = (X)* kg ms^-2
    Where X is the unknown unit of k.......
    In this case, treat each unit as an algebraic quantity, re-arrange for X and you'll know what the units are... (Dimensional analysis...)

You may ask why I left the numbers out..... Well, even if you have 3 N on one side with a being 1 ms^-2 on the other side, we really don't care what the value of k IS in this case, just what kind of a unit it represents...
    So yeah.
  4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    Well, all that I know is that in Newton's Second Law, F=m*a, which is the same as a=F/m. Then, looking at a similar formula using k, I see that a=k/m. Thus I thought that k=F and thus k was in units of Newtons. But, for some reason I was wrong. Am I on the right track???
  5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    Actually, I think you're referring to "Hooke's Law".
    In that case, F = kx... = ma, or a = kx/m... not k/m....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?