Quick question about the flux density through a solenoid.

In summary, the conversation discussed the formula for flux density through a solenoid and the relationship between the number of field lines per unit area and the magnetic field strength. It was noted that the magnetic field is uniform inside the solenoid and the formula does not account for distance from the centre. Additionally, the conversation referenced a question about measuring magnetic flux density in a solenoid and the results showing a decrease in B as x increases. The question asked about the region where the formula applies.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

the flux density through a solenoid is given by

[tex]B=\mu_o n I[/tex]

Where n is the number of turns per unit length.

The number of field lines per unit area is proportional to B.

I am assuming that at or near the centre of the solenoid the number of field lines per unit area decreases so B decreases.
If that is true, then how come the formula stated above doesn't account for distance from the centre of the solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the flux through a solenoid, that's the magnetic field strength. The magnetic field is uniform inside the solenoid (like how a parallel-plate capacitor has a uniform electric field between the two plates).

Magnet flux density is the same as field strength?

The reason I ask is that there is a question in which a Hall probe measures tehe magnetic flux density in a solenoid. They take measurements fromt the centre of the solenoid(x=0cm) until the end of the solenoid(x=16cm).
The results showed that as the x increases, B decreased.
Then the question asked "What conclusions can be made about the (i) the region where the formula ([itex]B=\mu_0 n I[/itex] applies"

1. What is flux density?

Flux density, also known as magnetic flux density or magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space.

2. How is flux density calculated?

Flux density is calculated by dividing the magnetic flux passing through a surface by the area of that surface. It is measured in Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. It produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

4. How does the flux density change through a solenoid?

The flux density through a solenoid is directly proportional to the current passing through it. It also depends on the number of turns in the coil and the material of the core.

5. What factors affect the flux density through a solenoid?

The flux density through a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through it, the material of the core, and the length and cross-sectional area of the solenoid.