1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about the flux density through a solenoid.

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the flux density through a solenoid is given by

[tex]B=\mu_o n I[/tex]

Where n is the number of turns per unit length.

The number of field lines per unit area is proportional to B.

I am assuming that at or near the centre of the solenoid the number of field lines per unit area decreases so B decreases.
    If that is true, then how come the formula stated above doesn't account for distance from the centre of the solenoid?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2
    That's not the flux through a solenoid, that's the magnetic field strength. The magnetic field is uniform inside the solenoid (like how a parallel-plate capacitor has a uniform electric field between the two plates).

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Magnet flux density is the same as field strength?

The reason I ask is that there is a question in which a Hall probe measures tehe magnetic flux density in a solenoid. They take measurements fromt the centre of the solenoid(x=0cm) until the end of the solenoid(x=16cm).
    The results showed that as the x increases, B decreased.
    Then the question asked "What conclusions can be made about the (i) the region where the formula ([itex]B=\mu_0 n I[/itex] applies"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?