1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quirky little bug

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that it is impossible to display " " with an uppercase B inside the brackets (which is how I wrote it, while composing this post - as you can see by hitting 'Quote' or trying it yourself). I think the compiler assumes this is to be used for bold-font text or somesuch, and messes with it.

One often needs to use this notation in chemistry - concentrations are represented by square brackets, and identifiers for general species are uppercase letters A, B, C, etc.

[ B ] seems to work, though it's nonstandard. Anyway, if anytime Greg or Warren feel like they've got nothing to work on... :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

\[B\] testing..

- Warren

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good one, Gokul. It is indeed the software trying to convert all "bbCode" (the basic markup language used for boldfacing, etc.) into lowercase.

The only way around it that I can think of at the moment is to surround your equations with the [ code ] tag. :frown:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?