Quiz Question -- What happens to the cork?

• B
  • Thread starter zul8tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, if a glass of water with a cork attached to a spring is dropped in free fall while remaining vertical and no water spills out, the cork will go downward to the relaxed position of the spring. This is because in free fall, there is no buoyant force acting on the cork, and only the internal spring force is in effect.
zul8tr
You have a glass of water with a cork floating in it. The cork is attached by a spring under some tension that is also attached to the bottom of the glass so the cork is slightly pulled deeper in the water than just by its own weight thus the cork has a bit more buoyant force. The cork always remains centered in the glass.
If the glass is dropped free fall and remains vertical and no water spills out what motion does the cork do relative to the glass wall, obviously before it hits the ground? Go up, down, remain the same and why?

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
zul8tr said:
You have a glass of water with a cork floating in it. The cork is attached by a spring under some tension that is also attached to the bottom of the glass so the cork is slightly pulled deeper in the water than just by its own weight thus the cork has a bit more buoyant force. The cork always remains centered in the glass.
If the glass is dropped free fall and remains vertical and no water spills out what motion does the cork do relative to the glass wall, obviously before it hits the ground? Go up, down, remain the same and why?
What do YOU think happens and why? :smile:

I know the answer wouldn't want to give it away too soon, needs others to solve.

Thread closed for Moderation. We often do not allow quiz questions like this because they could be disguised homework assignments. Given you user Profile, I doubt it is homework. Please start a private conversation with me (click my avatar and "Start a Conversation") and let me know your solution. If it looks good, I can re-open the thread.

Thank you for the PM and for your patience. Thread is re-opened as a Quiz Question. :smile:

In the free fall there is no buoyant force, so the spring should go back to the zero position, and the cork will of course go downward as the spring pulls it down. Good question @zul8tr . I answered quickly without giving it very careful analysis, but I think I may have gotten the correct answer. :)

Down.

Down to the relaxed position of the spring, a conclusion that will be altogether natural if you consider that the water will tend to drift out the glass leaving the spring behind.

Down is the correct reaction of the cork. Internal spring force is all that is acting on the cork, free fall has reduced buoyancy to zero

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the purpose of the cork in a bottle of wine?

The cork is used to seal the bottle and prevent air from entering, which can cause the wine to spoil or oxidize. It also helps to keep the wine from leaking out of the bottle.

2. How long does it take for a cork to decompose?

The time it takes for a cork to decompose depends on various factors such as the type of cork and environmental conditions. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few months to several years for a cork to decompose.

3. Can a cork be reused?

Yes, a cork can be reused multiple times. However, it is important to properly clean and sanitize the cork before reusing it to prevent contamination of the contents of the bottle.

4. What happens to the cork when it is removed from the bottle?

When the cork is removed from the bottle, it expands back to its original shape and size. It also releases a distinctive popping sound due to the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bottle.

5. Is cork a sustainable material?

Yes, cork is considered a sustainable material because it is harvested from the bark of cork oak trees without harming the tree. The bark regenerates over time, making it a renewable resource.