R circuit (pretty simple) need checked - full working - please

• Thread starter pat666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation involves a question about an R circuit that needs to be checked, with the full working provided. The solution involves using equations such as P=IV, P_loss=I^2R, and V=IR to find the current through the unknown resistor and the net voltage. The final answer for the power loss is 207.6W.
pat666
R circuit (pretty simple) need checked - full working - please!

Homework Statement

see attachment

Homework Equations

P=IV
P_loss=I^2 R
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

ok
36=I^2*12

I_12Ω=√3 A
V=20.8V
That is the same for the 3 resistors in parallel (I hope)
so I18Ω=1.15A
I36Ω=0.577A
the sum of these will give me the current through the unknown resistor
Iunknown=3.46A
net voltage = 60
60=Vunknown + 20.8
Vunknown=39.2V
V=IR
R=11.3Ω

can someone please check this - wouldn't ask if I dint need it.

Attachments

• resistors.png
    resistors.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org

Your answer is correct.

Sorry, I forgot the second half of the question,

P_loss=I^2 R
P=〖3.46〗^2*((1/12+1/18+1/36)^(-1)+11.3)
P_loss=207.6W
This seems big to me, could you please check that too.

pat666 said:
Sorry, I forgot the second half of the question,

P_loss=I^2 R
P=〖3.46〗^2*((1/12+1/18+1/36)^(-1)+11.3)
P_loss=207.6W
This seems big to me, could you please check that too.

your answer is correct.

1. What is an R circuit?

An R circuit, also known as a resistor circuit, is a type of electrical circuit that contains one or more resistors connected in a series or parallel configuration. Resistors are electronic components that resist the flow of electric current, and they are commonly used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

2. How do I check if my R circuit is working?

To check if your R circuit is working, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If the measured values are within the expected range, then the circuit is most likely working properly. You can also visually inspect the circuit for any damaged or burnt components, which may indicate a problem.

3. What are the key components of a basic R circuit?

The key components of a basic R circuit include a power source, resistors, and wires. The power source provides the electrical energy for the circuit, the resistors control the flow of current, and the wires connect all the components together to create a complete circuit. Other components, such as switches and capacitors, may also be included depending on the specific design of the circuit.

4. How can I ensure that my R circuit is safe to use?

To ensure that your R circuit is safe to use, you should carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and any applicable safety guidelines. It is important to use the correct voltage and current ratings for your components, and to properly insulate any exposed wires or connections. You may also want to use a circuit breaker or fuse to protect against overloading the circuit.

5. Can I modify my R circuit design to achieve different results?

Yes, you can modify your R circuit design to achieve different results. For example, you can change the resistance values of the resistors to alter the flow of current through the circuit, or add additional components such as capacitors or diodes to change the behavior of the circuit. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of these modifications on the overall circuit design and ensure that they do not cause any safety hazards or damage to the components.